Old 08-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Another Texas oven

Hey Wade,

Very nice. What are the details on the stone, the granite landing and the stucco type/color? It looks great. Is that a granite slab, with a bulnose? Does it have a color name?

How is she cooking?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Journeyman

Thanks James.

The stone is Texas Hill country Random chop. The stucco color is a quickcrete brown dye I added to the La Habra Wall one coat scratch and brown so it would look a bit better while waiting on the finish. A stucco expert (friend of a relative) is going to teach me how to apply the Dryvit acrylic sand finish coat, so, I have to wait a while. I still need to finish prepping and base coating the front. I didn't ask the exact color name for the granite, I just picked it out of the scrap pile. Was told it was Sicilian granite and the edge is finished square. I will take a close-up picture and will ask the name.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Laborer

It sure finished up nice. I like the set-back that goes along the side too. Mine will only have a shelf area in the front but I sure like the look of yours. Great work!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlively View Post

... is going to teach me how to apply the Dryvit acrylic sand finish coat, so, I have to wait a while. I still need to finish prepping and base coating the front.
Tell us more. This sounds cool.
James

Old 08-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

One more thing.

The granite choice is a really good idea. The landing in front of a pizza oven is much smaller than your basic kitchen re-design. I will bet that you can find a good size piece that matches your oven in the left-over bin of most custom stone supplier companies. The scrap granite is very cheap, and the biggest cost will be the finish edge.

You can even buy the scap piece and cut the back and sides with a diamond blade and a standard skill saw.

Very good.
James

Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Apprentice

Congrats! Welcome to the Texas wood burning oven club!!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Journeyman

All, thanks for the compliments.

James, here is a picture of the granite counter. The granite color is called Santa Cecilia. Turns out it is from Brazil and not Sicily as originally told. I guess I fell for that one! It looks good anyway.

Didn't have a piece of scrap quite long enough. I was worried about the look, since I wanted a full counter overhang, but it turned out rather nice flushed with the stone, I think. You can see a slight miscalculation on the notch for the hearth, so the grout joint is a bit big there. Oh well, it is not like it is an airplane.

I will save my next post for the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Texas oven-counter.jpg  

Last edited by wlively; 08-08-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: photo
Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Journeyman

Well it is finally complete. Well 99.5 %, stain the soffit and put handles on the doors. I posted a bigger picture in the photo section.

I used LaHabra Wall, a fiber reinforced stucco pre-mix for the one coat scratch and brown coat. I found if you use the bonder you can put it directly on the Durock but lathe made it much easier for a beginner like me to put it on the wall. Over that went 2 coats of DryVit acrylic stucco finish. What great stuff, sticks to anything and premixed, so pull it out of the bucket and put it on. A base flat coat and then when that was firm the texture coat. Thank goodness for in-laws, because I don't think I could have got the texture to match the house on my own. He let me do a 2ft section of the back, then said "you get the idea, now I don't want to be here all day, so I will finish".

Thanks again to James for the site and everyone else here for all the great advice, photos, and interesting discussions.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Texas oven-145-4518_img.jpg   Another Texas oven-145-4521_img.jpg  
Old 09-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Look Great! Congrats!!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:34 AM
Journeyman

Fantastic effort! Well done.