Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: alternative cheap insulation?

John, I went to Pacific Insulation in San Pedro or there abouts.

Under the oven I went with 2" rigid SiCal.
Around the oven I went with stonewool in direct contact with the dome and tucked into what gaps there were.
In the corners of the structure I went with 8" non-faced fiberglass insulation it was quickly available and since it wasn't going to have high heat, binders burning weren't and won't be an issue- Lowes
Once I had tucked and stuffed these I poured vermiculite into structure to fill the little gaps.

Chris

PS. I thought Id also pass along that high density Stonewool board is used as a base for stucco, so stability souldn't be an issue. I havent seen it but given the density, it seems to me that it could work under the oven floor. Id start with the manufacture and verify stability and lack of toxicity of binders at something over 900F, if they are present. Id want to bring the whole oven to high heat for several hours to verify that anything that might need cooking out does. The last thing anyone needs is an oven that isn't usable because of outgassing of sub-floor insulation. Again, Id start with the manufacture.

Last edited by SCChris; 06-30-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidding View Post
Why not opt for a cheaper brick? This is how I saved alot in my project..
Sure i may not be using firebricks, but I'm sure with solid clay bricks im going to get pretty damn close.

No matter what you do.. dont skimp on insulation.. its the single most important aspect.
couldnt agree more
used solid reds for floor and dome,goes like a bomb!
insulation is crucial!
an Italian freind has had an oven made of red brick for 17 yrs that is 2 meters wide and used 3 times a week for semi-commercial bread making.It was recently rebuilt with same bricks as the base was rusting!
Mortar used was clay slurry from back yard
any oven you can afford and have immediatly is better than one you cant afford
Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

These folks might have access to chipped and otherwise, in their opinion, inferior firebrick. I also remember some in the UK using "Heater Brick" as a cheaper alternative, although I don't find the thread right now.

Firebacks, Fire Bricks, Flues, Pots, Grates, Tiles And Refractory Products Dineen Sales Ireland

Chris
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Apprentice

Why not use normal bricks for the dome, i did and had no problems (get russel jeavons book) also you could use (kingspan Insulation) that is made in Dublin and there is allways loads left after a job which gets skipped, I used it on my first oven and it worked a treat. I would use firebrick on the slab though. But possibly engineering brick would work in thoery as it is fired to such a high temperature in its manufacture, good luck with everything
Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I looked into using lava rock.... it's cheaper. And I'm not so sure it wouldn't work well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 07-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great find, interesting reading. It is the addition of cement that reduces the insulating value of the resulting mix. For example vermicrete and perlcrete are the same in insulating value although perlite has a lower thermal conductivity than vermiculite. If you want a stronger mix add more cement and some sand, but you reduce the insulating value. Less cement gives you lower strength and better insulation. I use 5:1 vermiculite, cement for a layer that needs to support weight and a 10:1 for dome insulation. I think a 3:1 is too much cement and won't insulate well.

Tags
alternative, insulation, rock wool., sand, saving materials