Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

Hi Alex

I think those photos of the arch have made everyone believe that is your oven, but I think those pics have come from Field Furnace.

You have the angles on your next arch brick round the wrong way. Here is what you should do:

First, sit a normal, full brick in position. In my attached pic I have marked the rough size of a brick with a black line.

Next, use your dome tool and mark how deep the brick needs to be. This is the red line on the pic. The bottom of the brick should match the brick it is sitting on, so just trace a line there.

Once you have this marked make this cut. The cut face will become part of the inner dome wall.

Next, the blue line. Sit the cut brick back in place and projecting a line from the center of the oven (use your dome tool again) mark a line so that when you cut the brick the cut surface is half a brick in length. That is, this cut is where the dome bricks meet the arch, so it needs to be half a brick (115mm) long.

Remember, you only need to do this on the top of each brick, the underside can be traced from the previous row.

As you come higher up the arch the bricks get more vertical, but this method will still work.

Remember, the red cut is the inner wall of the dome and the blue cut is the intersection of arch and dome. When you do it once you will realise it's not so difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk-arch-brick.jpg  

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Laborer

Smile Re: Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

Thanks Sharkey, for some reason i missed this and oh how i paid! Got the thing closed now and onto the flue arch thus weekend.