Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

Picture of the prepared hearth and oven measurements

[ATTACH]Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-wp_000111.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OVEN CAD.pdf (213.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 AM
Laborer

Beautiful setting!!

Bruno

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Laborer

Hi WFO members,

OK, finally some movement at the station…

Pleeeease let this thing have a fire in it by the end of Winter.

My middle son wanted a pizza for his birthday on 3/6/2014, but alas work and life has gotten in the way!

See attached some pics of the first couple of courses.

I am pleased in general how it has turned out, I have tried to keep the lines as tight as I can and have been cleaning the brick as I go to avoid getting my tummy stuck later on.

I ended up buying refractory mortar at $46 a bag for 25 kilos…OUCH! Apart from the cost it is good to work with. I cannot believe how porous the bricks are.

The insulation brick were an absolute nightmare to work with and I ended up pretty much soaking the things in water in order to get the floor tiles levelled.
Attached Thumbnails
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00003.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00015.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00016.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00018.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00019.jpg  

Old 05-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Laborer

More shots...
Attached Thumbnails
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00022.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00027.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00030.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00034.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00036.jpg  

Old 05-30-2014, 05:26 AM
Laborer

I was like a brick laying Ninja this weekend past...I found my zone and smashed it out of the park...

Its all in the preparation as my dear Dad used to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00039.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00052.jpg  
david s and oasiscdm like this.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 AM
Laborer

Silver back!

Now I have to figure out how to cut the rest of the door arch for the transition...I expect I will need to seek guidance off the WFO brains trust.
Attached Thumbnails
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00049.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00059.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00061.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bert,

Nice tight joints first three courses. If you have not mortared in your arch yet, considered a tapered inner arch, it will really make tie-in to the dome much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-34a-inner-arch-6.18.12.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-41a-course-5-7.4.12.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi would agree with Russell it's worth the effort, Bert. Nice work thus far.

Did you say you wet the insulation bricks under the hearth?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:35 PM
Laborer

Dear Russell, cheers, yes I was planning on cutting the arch bricks, but the concept is confusing me. The first photo is where I am currently at. The first course and second course are in, but I cannot figure out the third course angle. I marked top and bottom on the brick and cut it to mirror the dome. It looks and fits well however I am not sure how to progress it further. The door arch will be higher than the dome brick course so I guess that’s where the taper comes in together with the back off the arch to allow the dome brick to intersect it as it curves in.

The second and third photos are where I need to eventually be. I know some peeps build their door arch first but due to the access issues for my oven I decided to build it as I go…didn’t want to knock and damage.

Dear Colin, yes the things are so porous it was the only way to get the things down. The site attracts a large amount of heat and I have noticed with the hot Autumn weather the slab and bricks dry out remarkably quickly.

Any assistance that the forum could offer regarding the marking out of the door transition would be great.

Cheers Al
Attached Thumbnails
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-wp_000198.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-wp_000197.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-apk_00001.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-img_2300.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Burt,

Looks like you got the tapered arch dialed in. Keep arch ahead of the dome course, easier to adjust dome bricks than arch bricks.