Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

Alternative to firebricks????

I have sourced a possible brick to use as an alternate to firebricks, given they are so expensive here in OZ ($4+). They are a pressed clay that come in an assortment of colours, they are fired to between 1200 and 1500 degrees Celsius with no Portland cement or gravel. The suppliers have sold them to fireplace builders before, as they actually sell fireplaces and word stoves…now I know where to purchase my flue from.

I’ll post some photos of the brick but they appear to have no gravel or cement and what looks like a petrified terracotta or clay. They also split like a breeze which will save my lungs a bit.

I would be interested to get some feedback from people who have used home brew and clay bricks as an alternate to the more expensive products?

Cheers

Bert
Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Solid pressed bricks are fine for on oven or fireplace situation, they are more prone to thermal shock and will crack where as fire bricks tend not to crack as easy.

Even cracked they will still perform well enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Laborer

Heres some pictures of the brick I plan on using. i also plan on using them for the insulation layer and the floor layer. They have nice straight edges.

Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-img_2350.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-img_2352.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-img_2353.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-img_2354.jpg   Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-img_2355.jpg  

Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
i also plan on using them for the insulation layer and the floor layer.
They will be useless for insulation all they will do is add more thermal mass.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
They will be useless for insulation all they will do is add more thermal mass.
Thanks Brickie in Oz.

Bert
Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Laborer

Hi Folks

I need to buy some besa blocks for a retaining wall and was thinking od using 390*140*190 for the WFO base, they come 144 on a pallet.

I remember reading on the forum that using a 150mm block was okay but cannot locate it now. I was going to run a centre wall as well.

Can I get away with not using 200mm deep blocks?
Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Bert
Yep why not use the 150mm block especially if you are planning a center wall. I have a center 1/2 block pillar (just in case). Please don't forget to core fill at least every secound Hole in the block as well for strenght . Again over kill... I filled every secound one first then ran a row of bricks around the top to contain my slab, Ran the steel down the remaining holes which were then core filled as I poured the slab. That puppy an't going to fall down in my lifetime
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-formwork-floor.jpg
On Insulation...your brick is the mass in the oven that stores the heat from the fire the insulation goes on the other side of this to stop this heat from leaking away. If you have read the Jeavens book on ovens it probable talks about ovens which are a lot larger than a backyard oven and have a fire full time to keep the heat in the large thermal mass. If you dont insulate under the hearth bricks your going to be using a lot of wood to heat up the slab underneath and not your tucker in the oven

Regards Dave
Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia-hearth-insulation.jpg

Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-01-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Master Builder

"I have sourced a possible brick to use as an alternate to firebricks, given they are so expensive here in OZ ($4+). They are a pressed clay that come in an assortment of colours, they are fired to between 1200 and 1500 degrees Celsius with no Portland cement or gravel."

Let's see those firebrick Bert. I used pressed red-clay brick in my oven and yours sound like a lot better quality than mine. Red-clay bricks work just fine but are softer than the standard firebrick and will crack...I can attest to that. But I actually like the feel of them and look of them. They are kinda rounded on the edges and uneven now and looks and feels more old-world. Like I was cooking in 1,000 year-old oven....if you like that sort of thing.

Yours are fired at a much higher temperature than mine, I think mine were sun baked. But a year later they are doing just fine. I found one cracked brick and they are easily replaced.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Laborer

Hello Folks

It’s been a while as I got side tracked…We were initially going to build a swimming pool then decided against it (enter post) and then changed our minds again.

After a false alarm in January with another pool builder. We now have a DA submitted to council, as we are a sloping block and unable to do complying development. 2 months now and counting, so hopefully not much longer.

WFO still very much on the cards and will be attached to a cabana and outdoor kitchen area. Since my last post I have:

• Built an engineered block (Alan Block) wall with 6 + tonne of crusher dust behind it;
• Removed approximately 8-9 cubic metres of sandstone and rubble;
• Moved 8+ tonnes of pavers and wall up a steep driveway (9 pallets);
• Built a dry stone wall;
• Moved ~ 15 tonnes of soil;
• Transplanted numerous large shubs;
• Gained 8 kilos from re-hydrating with beer.

I will post some updated pictures of ground zero - as I currently call it.

Therefore this post has now turned into a complete backyard re-construction or deconstruction as its currently stands.

I’ll get there…deep breath!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bert - sounds about right. I wanted to put a pool table in a room we never used. Ripped out trees, sidewalks, and 45 grand later - I get to shoot a 25 cent game. Don't lose focus on the oven - it's bigger than the rest

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.