Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Air Vents

Hey Rob,

Very interesting question regarding the side dampers. Still trying to picture how the oven would exhaust into the chimney with the door closed. I believe the closest method of 'tuning' your oven has been accomplished on a small scale via a blast door or door with adjustable vents, both top and bottom.

BTW - Nice start to your oven. What are you using for under-floor insulation?

John
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Peasant

Thanks, I am really excited to move from the stand to the actual oven. I am on the outer edge of Sandy and it is windy here today but no rain so I am working on installing the IT to get ready for going up with the walls. Hope to get started by Tuesday or Wed when the storm passes.

The top of the stand is 7 1/2" of concrete and vermicrete. Hope that is enough insulation and mass.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Peasant

John...I forgot to discuss the side vents. The thought was to have a door at the end of the landing. That would allow the oven to vent to the flue and incoming air would be controlled by two side vents with dampers. So far the consensus has been...interesting thought, probably could work but really not necessary. Original oven design works well and offers plenty of air control.

I have been talked out of trying it but still may make a second door with vents. That is something I can play with after the oven is up and cooking.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Rob,

I wasn't trying to talk you out of the thermocouples; they do have a very high "gee-whiz, coolness" factor . Just letting you know that they aren't a necessity.

If you think you might want them but are not sure about the cost, just buy the probes and install them during construction. If later you decide on using them, you can buy the expensive control box. Like pre-wiring your house for speakers just in case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Peasant

I like that idea Ken. With the wind and rain from Sandy it looks like a may have a few down days so I could place the order and get them in without too much delay. I will sleep on it.