Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Adding a reveal

There are a couple products out there that use Type E fiberglass around braided stainless steel wire that will handle 1000 degrees F. Another product is Type E Fiberglass wrapped in silicon that will take up to 500 degrees F. Davlyn makes/sells both. Fiberglass can be "food safe" if it uses the right kind of resin (they make water tanks from it).

Remember that "food safe" generally means that food comes in direct contact with the surface. I was surprised to learn how much "non-food safe" materials are allowed/used in food preparation equipment.

I'd go with bending the angle iron and using floating pins to anchor it into the exterior arch (it's not structural; it doesn't have to be epoxied or anything). Now, bending angle isn't the easiest thing to do unless you have a bender, but you can cut it and bend it that way.

Another option is to build a reveal inside the dome. You'd essentially make another interior arch, and there'd probably be a fair bit of brick cutting and cursing involved, but you could do it.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
I have the same issue. I don't think the masonry approach will last. Bending a 1.5" piece of angle iron is the way to go.
How do you bend angle iron w/o notches? I would think you would have to weld and grind the surface to get a reasonable seal. Also, 1.5 inches seems a little aggressive. I think a 1 inch reveal is more than adequate. JMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
How do you bend angle iron w/o notches? I would think you would have to weld and grind the surface to get a reasonable seal. Also, 1.5 inches seems a little aggressive. I think a 1 inch reveal is more than adequate. JMO
I wonder the same thing. A search turned up a few companies that describe angle iron bending. Another thought was to bend the two pieces seperately then welding together.

When I read the 1.5" I pictured in my mind that's the width of the steel that would lay flat and will be anchored to the brick and the "L" part piece would be 1/2" wide acting as the lip for the door to rest up against. Clarification would be nice.

Nate
Old 09-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Master Builder

Bending angle iron is not easy, cutting and welding is the only way I can think of. The thickness of the angle iron is not 1/2", it's about 1/4". Make your door so it clears the 1/4" lip. Some metal working shop should be able to do it, given the door dimensions.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Serf

Options 1,2,3 use 3 metal masonry anchors, 1 on each side and one on the top of the arch.

Option 1: .5" to.75" angle iron should be sufficient to seal against and won't significantly reduce the opening.

Option 2: Might I suggest using .75" solid square stock, making a template and taking it to a metal fabricator to bend barstock to match for a case of beer? drill and counterbore for 3 screws to pass through and into a metal masonry anchor

Option 3: Lightweight option 2, .25"x.75" bar stock bent the hard way, weld 3 tabs on the back of the part to bolt through into masonry anchors.

Options 1 and 3, keep the flange of the reveal facing in the oven so you don't need to clear it with a door or see it while looking in. Options 1,2,3, seal from the oven side with high temp silicone caulk

Option 4: A collapsable door, one that has a vertical axis hinge in the middle, you will have a hard time getting it to seal great but you won't have to touch the oven. To clarify If you are looking from the top down the door would look like a "V" with the tip of the v facing in, once the edges are in place spread the legs of the v.

Side Note, I use imgur to upload pictures, no account needed.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rather than trying to bend angle iron, I would suggest buying a piece of plate steel and cutting the arch you want. That way, you don't have to try to shape a piece of metal into something it just doesn't want to be. 12 or 14 gauge is probably sufficient. Weld or rivet some L-brackets on the back and use masonry bolts to attach to your existing arch. Seal the gap with high temp caulk. If you really want to get fancy, you could use stainless or copper. If you want to save money, you could probably cut in 2 or 3 sections in order to get a better yield from the plate.

Also - if you do a little searching, you can probably find a place that can do water jet or plasma cutting of the metal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 11-30-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

A steel frame sitting tightly inside the refractory,especially if it is anchored, will be the first to expand because steel is more conductive than the refractory. This is highly likely to cause cracking in the refractory. Give the steel some room to move ie. make it a loose fit.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Apprentice

If it were me, I would make the reveal with brick and mortar. If you provide enough surface area for the brick to bond to the arch it will not break loose from the force of installing the door (assuming you do not slam the door home). You will want to make sure the aspect ratio of the reveal is wider than it is thick (surface area of the reveal to arch > surface area of the reveal to door). - Say 5/4" wide by 5/8" thick - so you will lose about 1 1/2" in the width of your entry to the oven.

If you wanted to reinforce the shear plane of the reveal to arch joint, you could cut shallow grooves in a few places along the perimeter of the arch and mortar thin slices of brick into the grooves to provide a backstop for your reveal. I would make the grooves about 1/2" wide and 3/4" inch deep and fill them with slices of brick that are ~ 1/8" thinner than that. These "backstops" would extend < 1/2" from the surface of the arch and would not be visible from the outside of the oven as they would be shallower than the reveal itself.

At this point you're probably thinking "if I had $0.02 for all the advice I received on this post - I could build another oven". Anyway that's my $0.02.

Good luck and keep us posted on whatever you decide to do.
Regards,
AT
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Serf

Thanks everyone. While it's still something on my "to do" list for the oven, I'm putting anymore work on hold as I'd like to enjoy it for a while.

When and if I decide to tackle the reveal again, I'll definitely be back to review everyone's suggestions and update.

Thanks,
Nate