Old 04-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Robert,
looking at your pictures on Picasa I saw that your arch is actually supporting part of the dome as well, you hanged up some bricks on it, which is what I'd like to accomplish as well. Was this a calculated technic? How tall is your door arch? thansk Carlo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Carlo, I had no real technique. I merely went with the continued distance from center that could be accomplished. I messed up with not using a dome template for distance, so I had courses 4-8 paying the price. The thread talks about it. As for connection to the dome, I felt that I woul rather like to see the brick connected with as much mass as possible. You see that with the 7th course of #342 of this thread. I could have shaved the brick to have it only hitting the inner face of the arch, but thought it might be better to have the weight pressing down, so I created the shape of the brick to connect wherever possible. Hope that answers your inquiry.

As for the door, my entry has a peak of 12" with sides of 9.5". I winged this as well because of my arch template not panning out as needed. Most all of arch was freehand, one brick per side per day (not fun). I have the face of the arch flared, which was an original design by Jim (JCG31).

Acoma's Tuscan: