Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

You keep trucking along at warp speed and you'll have this thing knocked out in no time. Great diligence! The floor doesn't take that long once you get started on it. Suddenly, after all that hard work on the base, stand and floor, you're going vertical. That is an awesome feeling. It becomes hard not to go outside and just sit there and stare at it between your work sessions.

Enjoy the ride!
George

-
Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you George. I was a little nervous about the four sides cleaned up after several replys. I looked at them this morning and they look great. I will verify complete match ups when the floor design is done. Again, The dome pieces will get cuts as needed, and another 150 will be picked up this month, weather permitting.
Ken and Jim, I modified your wet saw idea and it works great in the garage. Photo to come.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I was thinking about the construction term "factory edge in." Basically you get to use the clean edge anywhere it shows, and then face the part that you cut outward. That's true for wood, bricks, drywall, hardibaker, and probably some other things.

I think this definitely applies to cutting bricks. The cut side never gets seem.

In fact, I've been told by professional oven builders that they score and break the dome bricks, with the rough side out -- because they don't want to pay the cost of burning through blades.

Rough can be good.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Robert,

You may have to resort to sanding the floor as many of us had to do. These bricks are cut with a wire so they are far from identical.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Master Builder

I think that carefully trimming the floor bricks and then cutting a curved floor is an excellent start as it gives you a feel for the saw. Soon, if you are anything like me, you will be finishing a cut with the brick in your hand. Or, you will be holding it up to the blade and polishing the last little imperfection off of it as if the blade were a grinding wheel.
You have made amazing progress so far Robert. At the rate you're going, I wouldn't be suprized if you need more bricks by xmas!

dusty
Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

So far so good

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, I made progress this evening. I did the herringbone design of the bricks and cut the floor template. I had my mother-in-law over and she suggested going 24 inches internal dome instead of 21 inches. She stated that their ovens in New Mexico are approximately that high, and that for the diameter of the oven, that it would be better. I would like to request imput from some of you as to impact of that height. We are only talking 3 inches.
I have attached the photo of the bricks that were cut on all four sides and shaped for the oven floor, the wet saw with tarp in the back (works great), and the template for the oven floor.
As for tomorrow evening, I will have the floor bricks cut. Rain possible over the next few days and snow is expected by Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Acoma 42" Tuscan-100_1292.jpg   Acoma 42" Tuscan-100_1295.jpg   Acoma 42" Tuscan-100_1296.jpg  

Acoma's Tuscan:

Last edited by Acoma; 12-04-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Robert,

You may have to resort to sanding the floor as many of us had to do. These bricks are cut with a wire so they are far from identical.

Les...
Les, that will happen once the bricks are on the hearth. My garage floor is not perfect, being the location that I am doing prep work right now. Peel Perfect is my goal on the oven floor. Once I get the bricks cut to the shape of the oven and entry, I will then get to work on the insulation board. Once these are done, outside goes the floor bricks and insulation board, then the sanding of the surface to the bricks. That is definately a great idea, and should be on the Pompei instructions too (idea).
Dusty, I am looking at going back down there within the next two weeks to get the 2nd batch. Family gathering in Vallejo, and with school out for Christmas, I say...why not. Only thing is that my SUV maxes at 1250lbs. so the amount will be less, but the quality will be better.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Last edited by Acoma; 12-04-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James, regarding clean cut side only comment, I agree. This is obviously a great idea for all pieces that would be seen internally or visible upon completion. I went with all four sides for the floor area only.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 12-05-2007, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
the wet saw with tarp in the back (works great).
Nice job on the saw stand. I really like the little extension table. That's a great idea.

Updated!