Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build

Thanks aceves
I downloaded sketchup last week and struggled for a while with it but it needs more patience than I seem to posess. I tried to make a hemisphere - got as far as a sphere with difficulty but maybe I can construct with individual bricks. I'll have another crack at it. I think I will need to work on my patience with this dome anyhow.
Do you need the pro version?
Aidan
Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Apprentice

Hi Aidan,

The previous poster was Gianni. He's a super-skilled builder and a great resource! Thanks for your post, Gianni!

Aidan, thank you for the compliments. But really, everything I did on my oven in terms of design and building, I learned from this forum. This is a great resource, full of information! So I compliment all the builders on here who were - and still are - always willing to answer my questions and concerns. So you should definitely ask away and they will help you with your build!

I did not use SketchUp. I did all my designs and calculations on paper, cardboard, napkins, etc... It can be done!

As for your questions: My brick size was 9x4.5x2.5 inches. It worked out for me to cut the bricks 5" on one side and 4" on the other, so with one cut I got 2 equally sized half-bricks. This worked great for the first few rows. I then started to custom cut my bricks according to the radius of the row, so I was making 3 cuts per brick to get slightly smaller half-bricks, something like 3.5" on one side and 4" on the other. The final 3 rows I was cutting my whole bricks into thirds, so I was making 4 cuts per brick.

I never cut a bevel to my bricks, and it worked out great. I only cut the angles. That was just my preference. For your questions about making a slight bevel with one cut, it can be done, but you will have to adjust according to your row, as each row will have a different bevel. I decided not to bevel, to keep my cuts to a minimum and to keep a consistent ring of bricks and mortar.

As for your question about the radius of my entry arch: the radius is 11.5" with the bottom length of the half-circle being 23". Note that this is the entry arch so it is slightly larger than the oven arch so I could keep a lip to rest my oven door on.

The height of my entry arch is 14". This means that the entire arch is 2.5" taller than normal. It is a perfect half-circle with 2.5" added to the base. If you look at the pictures it will make sense. The bricks at the bottom of the form added the 2.5" I needed to raise the arch.

I hope this helps. And please, ask away and you shall receive an answer from someone on this forum.

aceves

Last edited by aceves; 01-04-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Journeyman

Sorry - of course I missed that - thanks to Gianni also - and thanks aceves for that comprehensive answer. At the moment with the atrocious weather all I can do is plan and paper napkins and such like are admittedly a feature, Yes I have been reading back through many of the tales and there are many paths it seems to the goal.
I will think on it again tomorrow and some more quetions may arise.
all the best
Aidan
Old 01-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Journeyman

Hi again aceves and Gianni (or John) I am just looking through your dome build again John - let's just say I'm impressed. I knew I had got that 39" idea from somewhere - only I decided to move out from 36". Also that Soapstone floor is just something else. I took the trouble to look up sources for soapstone here and apart from some artist suppliers - nothing. Google informs me it was mined (quarried?) in Co Donegal in 1896 - so I guess it is a firebrick floor for me. BTW wikipedia tells me that the native americans used to use soapstone for their pipes since it was a bad heat conductor. That sounds like the property of an insulator. Are there different kinds?
Sorry aceves for using this thread - but looking at you and Johns arches has made my mind a bit easier, Only problem I have is I am doing all my cutting with an angle grinder with a 9" diamond blade. It cuts pretty good but I doubt I'll be able to get fine cuts. So far I cut just enough for one row - maybe a little more - in half. But I will wait until I'm building before doing any further cuts. I have an idea now what I will do with the arch. It will be just over 21" at the bottom and about 12.5" at the keystone - but I will set up the arch dry with spacers in advance and mark for cutting with the IT so that I can hopefully achieve something like you guys did. Or should I wait and cut as I am building?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
BTW wikipedia tells me that the native americans used to use soapstone for their pipes since it was a bad heat conductor
I looked this up, and find it very interesting. I imagine that soapstone's heat up/radiation characteristics have a different curve with a smaller, intermittent flame although it may be entirely possible that what the indians were smoking could have made them think it wasn't hot!

You can still do a first-rate job with an angle grinder, IMHO. You may not be able to control all the beveled cuts and tight joints, but many builders have made perfectly-fine ovens with bricks cut in half only.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Apprentice

Hi Aidan,

Gianni is by far a master WFO builder; I'm just an apprentice. Did you see his cuts and his transition? Incredible!! He and Karangi Dude and Sharkey came up with the arch transition idea, I just borrowed it. So I give credit to those guys for their amazing design and skill level. Thanks guys!

As for building the arch as you go, that is what Gianni did. He built up his arch to attach to this rows as he was building the rows. I built my entire arch first, let it set, then I continued with attaching my rows to the arch. It worked out fine for me. I got a little bit of the droop at the top of the arch, but I didn't worry too much. My oven is still going to work good!

I say the method for building the arch is up to the builder's choice/preference. Do what your skill level calls for & just keep going forward - don't worry too much if a brick or two sets up out of place. Most of us are novices here, so perfection is difficult to attain!

Good luck! And post pictures! We all want to see your progress!

aceves
Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Aceves,

Thanks for the compliments. The biggest reward for me is to see more and more builders incorporating this design. No reason to reinvent the wheel whatsoever.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Journeyman

Hi Aceves
A couple of questions - or Gianni if you are reading. I set up an oven entry arch mould and I am having some trouble getting the keystone to show a 4.5" face to the other bricks. There was a photo somewhere which I can't locate but maybe this sketch will help explain. The shaded face I reckon should be 4.5" but it will be less which means I think I will have to cut some overlap angle. If my bricks were a little taller at the Arch face on the right I could work it. Is it OK at <4.5". Sorry about the photo quality.

Second question - the FB oven plans specifically discourage using a wet mix refractory mortar - but my firebrick source recommends this - is it OK?
http://www.dineensales.com/downloads/dinsetsheet.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build-photo0236.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post

Second question - the FB oven plans specifically discourage using a wet mix refractory mortar - but my firebrick source recommends this - is it OK?
http://www.dineensales.com/downloads/dinsetsheet.pdf
Thats all I use (similar product) and have had no problem with it.
I have no idea why the FB mob discourage it?
Attached Thumbnails
Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build-glue.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post
Hi Aceves
A couple of questions - or Gianni if you are reading. I set up an oven entry arch mould and I am having some trouble getting the keystone to show a 4.5" face to the other bricks. There was a photo somewhere which I can't locate but maybe this sketch will help explain. The shaded face I reckon should be 4.5" but it will be less which means I think I will have to cut some overlap angle. If my bricks were a little taller at the Arch face on the right I could work it. Is it OK at <4.5". Sorry about the photo quality.
If you make it less than 4.5" and make the bricks that sit on it smaller, you will have that issue in the rest of the rows above.

You should just cut a bit more off the brick to make the face 4.5".

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.