Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build

Nice-looking dome, dude! I really like the shape of your inner arch. Gonna carry that shape out to the outer arch?
Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the comments guys!

Lburou - I hadn't thought about adding any thermal breaks to my entry. I was just going to stop the inner hearth bricks at the outer edge of my entry and then finish my landing with red bullnose bricks. What do you recommend?

Gianni - Yes, I am going to carry the hemisphere shape of the inner arch to my outer arch. And I'll be leaving a reveal at the inner arch for my door, as recommended here at the FB Forum. But for my outer arch, I'm leaning towards tapering my bricks and having straight mortar lines vs. setting straight bricks and having "v" mortar lines like my inner arch. No reason for the change, just want to try it out. Or will it look "weird" if I change the look of my outer arch from the inner arch?

aceves
Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Aceves,

It won't look weird at all. Remember, if the reveal is 1" wide, that is all you will see: 1" of V. If you taper the entryway and outer arch bricks, first of all it shouldn't take that long to do, and second, you just added another skill/design element to your build.

I think it will look excellent.
John
Old 08-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceves View Post
Thanks for the comments guys!

Lburou - I hadn't thought about adding any thermal breaks to my entry. I was just going to stop the inner hearth bricks at the outer edge of my entry and then finish my landing with red bullnose bricks. What do you recommend?

Gianni - Yes, I am going to carry the hemisphere shape of the inner arch to my outer arch. And I'll be leaving a reveal at the inner arch for my door, as recommended here at the FB Forum. But for my outer arch, I'm leaning towards tapering my bricks and having straight mortar lines vs. setting straight bricks and having "v" mortar lines like my inner arch. No reason for the change, just want to try it out. Or will it look "weird" if I change the look of my outer arch from the inner arch?

aceves
Your plan sounds good, I'm sure it will serve you well

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Apprentice

After a short hiatus, I am back on the build! Today I completed my outer/entry arch! It took me a while to measure and cut all the bricks, but I made sure I had all the measurements right before I started mortaring. Once everything was cut to specs, I built it all in about 1.5 hours.

I left a 1.5" reveal at the inner arch for my door. I went for 1.5" because my inner arch bricks are tapered and I wanted a little more reveal for my door.

My entry ended up being 12" deep. I considered a 15" entry, but decided on 12". I just need to finish up my flue base on top of the outer arch, and I'll be ready for my flue. I'll be using a clay flue liner, 8x13 oval, custom cut.

It's all coming together now. I can't wait to start the curing fires!

aceves
Attached Thumbnails
Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build-entry2.jpg   Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build-entry1.jpg   Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build-entry3.jpg  

Last edited by aceves; 10-01-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Aceves,
You gotta be excited now that you're on the home stretch! Let us know your proposed curing schedule and by all means....post some pics!
John
Old 10-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Apprentice

Hi John,

I am definitely excited!

I do actually have pics to post. I've been trying to add them to the "manage attachments" window, but it's taking FOREVER to upload the pics! I don't know what's going on. I'm going to add a few pics to the daily pics section to see if that makes it easier for the FB website to accept my pics.

This happened last time. Took me 1 hour to post 3 pics....

aceves

Last edited by aceves; 10-01-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Before uploading the file you're reducing the file size to around 1mb or less, right?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Apprentice

Hi John,

Yes, I've been reducing the size of my pics to about 300-350 KB. I've just uploaded some pics - see above. More pics to come.

My outer arch is not the most perfect arch out there, but it will do. I will be adding another decorative arch in front of this arch, so I'm not too worried about it not being the best job out there. The inner seams (where everybody will be able to see) will be nice and tight. It works for me!

aceves
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Apprentice

So here are more pics of my entry/vent. I had my forms in place for a full 24 hours, and I removed them to mortar my inner seams and clean up the entry.

I borrowed the vent design from Sharkey (thanks Sharkey!) and I'll be doing a modified clay flue liner.

As you can see, I tapered my inner arch bricks so the smoke & gases have a smoother transition up the flue. My reveal is at 1.5" for my door.

I'm really happy how it's turning out. Again, not the most precise job ( a few bricks are a little out of place, but it looks awesome to me nonetheless!

I'll be starting my curing fires in a couple of weeks!

aceves
Attached Thumbnails
Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build-vent1.jpg   Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build-vent2.jpg   Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build-vent3.jpg   Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build-entry-right.jpg