Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   accidentally coated inside 36" brick dome with high heat mortar cement (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/accidentally-coated-inside-36-brick-dome-12813.html)

flipjoe26 04-29-2010 10:18 PM

accidentally coated inside 36" brick dome with high heat mortar cement

my uncle was being a nice guy and decided to come over my house while i was at work and decided to apply high heat mortar cement inside my 36" brick dome.
he pretty much apply one good coat of high heat mortar cement inside the dome where you can't actually see the brick anymore. i guess the good thing he left the floor alone. i guess it will work just fine. i was just bummed out that my nice brick job is not visible anymore.
any consequences with the dome being coated with high heat mortar?
any help counts thanks
jp

Johnny the oven man 04-29-2010 10:59 PM

Re: accidentally coated inside 36" brick dome with high heat mortar cement

Most likely gonna end up with crunchy pizza's.

flipjoe26 04-29-2010 11:25 PM

Should I take the coat of high heat mortar off?
thanks
jp

Raffy 04-30-2010 12:20 AM

I don't see any problem but if it bothers you I guess you could take it off if you wanted to. Other than a thicker dome (more thermal mass) it is of no big consequence that you have that extra layer. If it is a thin coat then it shouldnt affect heating time that much.

flipjoe26 04-30-2010 12:36 AM

its does not really bother me, thanks for the reply

Johnny the oven man 04-30-2010 12:42 AM

I think the reason you see all that nice brickwork on the inside of ovens is the non requirement of any residual mortar, it may work OK, just keep your eye on any flaking.

lwood 04-30-2010 05:43 AM

Yes, flaking. Thin layers of cement tend to delaminate easily. Don't know about heat stop, but you don't want flakes of cement falling on your pizza.

flipjoe26 04-30-2010 07:57 AM

definitely want no cement flakes, a good amount of cement was coated as i was checking it again this morning.
should i leave it ALONE and cure it in a week?
or should i go ahead and scrape off as much mortar as i can NOW before curing the dome?
or can i take the mortar off after curing the dome?
thanks again guys

Dino_Pizza 04-30-2010 09:12 AM

Sorry about your oven accident jp.

This is just my opinion, (and pay no attention to anything under my avatar that says Master Builder, cuz I aint) but cladding on the INSIDE of an oven is so non-standard that I think you should chip off as much as possible, even if it dings your bricks a bit. I would think it would tend to flake and come off even if your uncle did a good job of applying it. Again, since I've not seen it happen before, I would rather remove it, not really knowing the outcome.

You could also chip the top, then the sides and leave a few inches near the soldier or bottom courses and if they flake off, they just fall into the ashes.

Just my 2 unprofessional-cents, good luck, Dino

tfasz 04-30-2010 09:34 AM

Yes sorry to hear that, but I would lean towards seeing if you can take it off now. Not sure what mortar you are using, but I was surprised how I could clean stray HeatStop 50 mortar off the outside of my bricks a couple of weeks after I had mortared them. I just dampened them with a sponge, did a little scraping with a trowel, and some more rubbing with the sponge and it can off pretty easily.