Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: accidentally coated inside 36" brick dome with high heat mortar cement

I am with Dino, I would chip it off. If you havent fired the oven it should be fairly easy. I think it will probably flake off when you start heat cycling anyway.
Eric
Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Serf

Default Re: accidentally coated inside 36" brick dome with high heat mortar cement

i am working now on taking off most of the coating that was applied accidentally, not a very easy thing to do, its sunny 70 degrees here in the bay area, inside the dome staying cool so far, its looking great, mortar peels off easy
bought some brick/driveway stain cleaner solution from home depot, hoping this cleaner will take some of the stains of the brick when done scraping off all the mortar
again guys thanks for all the response
jp
Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Apprentice

I'm glad it's coming off easily. I used a sand form to finish off my dome and it sucked the moisture out of the mortar. After a day I dropped the sand and the mortar was hard as a rock. I ended up spending a few hours with a pneumatic chisel removing the residue. Good thing you didn't wait until it fully cured.
dave
Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Master Builder

Just a suggestion, Since the dome is not cured yet; you might try lighting a small fire and see if you can get it to micro-crack. If it were cured, I'd say build the biggest fire you can and make it fail. Then try to remove it with a metal brush.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Master Builder

Glad to here... btw we are also from the Bay Area (San Jose).
Old 04-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Serf

done removing the mortar, now inside the dome has this rustic look
not totally clean but tried my best, gaps are all filled for sure
no more accidents for now
again guys thank you
jp
Old 04-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Serf

Iwood your location says Philippines what part?
i grew up in ILOILO, now living here in fremont.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Journeyman

Good job fixing the mistake
Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I coat the inside of my ovens deliberately to produce a nice white surface. Pottery kilns are also frequently coated in this way too and they are fired way higher than we do. I don't think refractory mortar would be a good material though because the aggregate in it is way too course. I have never had flaking problems but the stuff needs to be applied to the surface when it is neither too damp or too dry.