Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: AAc blocks instead of Vermiculite insulation under slab

Thanks W - think I understand that now. My method's simple - biro and back of envelope. At reasonably regular intervals - about every 15 minutes in the end. Was using the 'nail four boards on then get another reading' method.

More data once I have a door...

Cheers, carl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Apprentice

... and as promised, here's the data with a door. I won't be using this particular door again because it, erm, burnt a lot. I've now re-thought my door design I'll try and post about this later if I get time to get back on the computer.

I was pleased with the performance with the door - hearth gets up to 400C after a 3.5 hour fire, then is still at 200C 12 hours later. I'm happy with this - only a 4" thick AAC block below this firebrick hearth, with about 1" of sand to level the firebricks on. With the door on the temperatures soon even out, and it takes a good 24h from the end of the fire to get down to 100C. This oven's still drying out too - still steam from the insulating vermiculite...

W - if you fancy a look at the real numbers, let me know, and I'll PM you the data.
Attached Thumbnails
AAc blocks instead of Vermiculite insulation under slab-burn-3-28h-c.jpg   AAc blocks instead of Vermiculite insulation under slab-burn-3-28h-f.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 PM

We've talked a lot about AAC, but I'd never actually seen it up close. Here's a new hotel under construction on the bay in Traverse City Michigan, which appears to be made of the stuff.

Note that the interior of the stairwell is made from conventional blocks, perhaps for code reasons.

A chip off the old block.

Notice that the window and door openings are framed out in pressure treated lumber. They are using engineered wood joists between floors.

In any event, thought you insulation fiends would like to see the stuff in use.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Peasant

Those appear very much like Insulated concrete forms to me. I used a similar product to build my last home. They are EPS foam blocks into which you place Re-bar and pour concrete. I really like them
Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The people up the street are using those styrofoam forms to build their new detached garage. They had a pump truck up there yesterday filling the cores in- I had to find several reasons to walk past and spectate.

I still can't figure out why they're insulating the crap out of their garage when they live in a house built before 1900.. I've lived in one of those, and geez, even with blown in insulation, they're drafty. Maybe they wanna live in the garage and park in the house???

Old 08-12-2008, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the clarification: I misunderstood what I was looking at.