Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   6th course is done (almost) (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/6th-course-done-almost-2831.html)

Les 10-24-2007 08:01 PM

6th course is done (almost)

OK - Mr. Ugly Brick Cut, is chasing me big time. I am starting to make way too many custom cuts to complete a course. I think that since I am 1/2 way to the top, I am going to reset back to the plans and go from there. May be an ugly transition for me, but it prevents me from running into the desert, butt naked,screaming - Buy the kit, Buy the kit, buy the kit.

Tyeing into the arch is looking a little easier than I thought - thats a bit of good news. I say that now because I don't have a brick in my hand...

Les...

asudavew 10-24-2007 08:11 PM

Re: 6th course is done (almost)

Bodacious!

NO worries here....;)

I know you got this Les.

More pills bro! :rolleyes:

rlf5 10-24-2007 08:24 PM

Its funny how the longer you have to work on it, the more affordable the ordered oven looks... :D

Les 10-24-2007 10:09 PM

Rlf5,

Was never a question of $$ - although I don't mind saving it when I can. In the beginning, I was going totally kit, as two of my friends have done (that's when I got the bug). But I build everything myself - from kid's furniture to garages. I sit at a desk all day so it's sort of therapeutic to get outside and construct things. I really am not that big on pizza - I just thought it would be damn cool to make a BIG fire anytime I please, plus the wife thinks I'm kinda sexy when I cook. :D

Les...

Acoma 10-24-2007 10:10 PM

Les, you are incredible. forget the pills, you have completed rehab and can work clear minded:) I hope to get over there and see the dome before you insulate. Heading out of town this weekend. My wife and I decided to add 6' of area for the oven. More delay, but it is for the better, and for the big picture.

RTflorida 10-24-2007 10:31 PM

Les, we share the same philosophy. Build it rather than buy it, do it rather than pay someone else to.
Actually, always having a project going on is what keeps me sane (in my twisted little mind), out of jail, and out of the above mentioned rehab.

Dude, keep going.....as you've stated - your half way there. Yes, it is a severe pain in the ass custom fitting each brick (been there, although not as meticulous as you). but you have the most perfect dome to date. I would be proud as hell.

RT

biondoli 10-25-2007 07:30 AM

Les this is an amazing job, congratulations! It is the best dome I have ever seen on this site!
I have a question regarding the arm you screwed in the middle of the oven to allign all the dome bricks...once finished are you going to pull that brick and put a new one or just fill in the hole? just curious because I want to use the same technic, thanks
Carlo

Les 10-25-2007 08:55 AM

Thanks for the complements! Last week there were some posts going about the songs you hear in your head while doing this; mine seems to be “I hear that train a coming”. At some point, mortar will be required. Due to the inconsistencies of brick thickness, I have some undulations developing. Hopefully, I can push it all to the keystone.

Carlo, I simply drilled a hole in the center and my BS (board system) has a pin that drops into it. I’m leaving the hole there; it will fill up with ash.

Les...

Hendo 10-25-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biondoli (Post 18003)
Les this is an amazing job, congratulations! It is the best dome I have ever seen on this site!

Les,

Beautiful work! I mean, you've even achieved a consistent bond between courses where all the vertical joints line up. Unbelievable!

Keep going!

Paul.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...__Oven_098.jpg

james 10-25-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biondoli (Post 18003)
Carlo

That is beautiful.

Save that thought. We are starting the Best of the Month poll on November 1.

James