Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 51" Oven in France

I don't know what others think, but if the floor thickness is the same as the dome thickness, it should be ok... could even be an advantage.

With a big dome you'll be looking at a relatively long heat up time anyway, and I would think that 10 cm doesn't constitute a heat sink. But I may be entirely wrong here, so wait until you have some more opinions...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:52 AM

It's ok to grind off some high spots but don't go crazy and try to abrasive smooth the whole floor: the exterior of the brick is considerably harder than the interior, you want your floor to last.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Peasant

Hi again,

Here are some shots from today's progress. Lost a half day in thinking about dome shape, preparation and tool creation. I created a cutout of my dome shape. I decided to go for 20" height or 50cm exact.

Then my father and I started laying the first bricks. Using the cutout the first bricks went on all right following the curve. But then my father decided that he knows better and that he can eye the placement. Over a quarter of the circle is now off about 1cm from the curve. Oh well I hope it will be okay anyway.

Pictures attached. Bricks follow the curve very closely but on the picture is looks that there is quite a few gaps. The bricks edges are sometimes not straight and that shows in the picture. I hope its good enought.

The floor surface show that there are a few small gaps where again due to the shape of brick they don't touch. Is it a good idea to fill the gap? With mortar?

Thanks for you time.

By the way is there a way to change the title of the thread from 51 to 47" for accuracy?
Attached Thumbnails
51" Oven in France-dscf1496_small.jpg   51" Oven in France-dscf1497_small.jpg  
Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
The floor surface show that there are a few small gaps where again due to the shape of brick they don't touch. Is it a good idea to fill the gap?
An excellent material for filling those pesky floor gaps is wood ash. Leave them be. You may want to temporarily cover the floor with a cardboard cutout to keep your floor clean as you work on the dome.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by exipnos View Post
First choice is to grind down the uneven parts. Not sure exactly how to do that? Sanding it down or what tool?
Kosta,

I used a belt sander to take off the edges - it would take quite a lot of work to do the whole floor. You just want to get it to where you don't catch the edge of your peel.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Peasant

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll try the belt sander or orbital sander idea for the worst spots and then wait to see how that works out. If needed I can always put in the larger tiles at a later stage if it really bothers me.

Cheers,

Kosta
Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Peasant

I have a quick question. I was planning on tapering the bricks for a closer fit but then my father is not thinking its necessary. Now we are at the third row and I can already see the inverted ‘Vee’ between adjacent bricks. Since my old man tends to do what ever he wants while I'm not there working with him, I wonder what will happen if you just continue without tapering the bricks. Is it only esthetic or will it have an impact in stability or longevity of oven?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nah, that should be fine. A lot of us... ok, some of us, didn't taper the bricks at all, or only towards the top of the dome. Its more of an esthetic thing.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Apprentice

Did mine 48 inch round, hight of dome 24 inch, worked out well, it takes more wood to reach pizza temp. but once there ,2min pizza and baking bread at 400-500f. is great heat retention with a door of course, the floor can be ground down with another brick if its not that bad
Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Nah, that should be fine. A lot of us... ok, some of us, didn't taper the bricks at all, or only towards the top of the dome. Its more of an esthetic thing.
Frances - your inside fire brick could fall to the ground and you have no worries. You could put a Monet or Picasso in place of the door and charge people for the experience. Your dome is a piece of art!

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 11-17-2008 at 07:18 PM.