Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Serf

Default Re: 42" Started in Fountain Hills, Arizona

Greenman,

Point well taken. I for sure will consider the difference in thermal expansion and leave a gap between the steel arch and the brick arch. Haven't done any calcs yet but I'm thinking around a 1/4 inch gap should suffice. The steel will become heat soaked way before the brick and would expand first making a gap necessary. The steel weldment would consist of an arch welded to a face plate. The face plate would then extend down to the concrete with welded feet in which it would be anchored. Of course this is all just being considered at this point. This might be a good way to incorporate a thermal break as well. I'm not trying to make it complicated, but just considering all the input from others comments on what they would do differently.

I have decided against the soldier coarse mainly for all the same reasons as others.

Somebody mentioned that their peel would sometimes get stuck in the joint where the floor met the top of the first coarse, so I am going to start with a split for the first coarse.

One concern is my current layout only allows 3 inches from the back of the oven to the stucco wall. I think I will increase this to 4 for a little more peace of mind. This comes at the cost of landing space. I am planning on a 1 brick wide flue by about 18 inches wide transitioning into the 8 inch chimney pipe.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!

Gordy
Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Master Builder

Gordy - Sounds like you are on top of the deal. Will watch with interest. Good luck.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Serf

OK, finally a weekend where I can work on MY project, so get ready for the questions! Thanks in advance for all the help I know I am going to get here.

I've decided to start the first three and 1/2 courses vertical and then begin the dome profile. Starting with a split first to avoid a joint in the plane of the floor in which a peel might get caught. So today I am starting with cutting out the two layers of FB (4 inches) and will try to get the hearth bricks cut and laid. Since the dome will be within 5 inches of the house wall (at two tangent lines) I was thinking about using the FB scraps between the dome and wall, cut to fit nicely. I'm only speculating that the rigid insulation value is greater than the blanket, just need to figure out how to tie in the blanket to the rigid. Looking forward to any and all comments.

How does one keep a consistent mortar joint? Notch trowel, or would that result in too many voids??

Gordy