Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest

Hi Breakn,
Sorry I cant help you with the chimney, My question is that yu have a really large span across the front of your base, is it supportd with angle iron ? Or do you have another plan... Its hard to tell from the pics...
Cheers
Mark
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Serf

Rebar in the concrete with no angle iron.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Serf

Ok So after almost a year (only get 2 hrs a week, because of my work schedule) I Have finished everything almost.
I am planing on insulating the dome with 3 rolls of 1" insulation, Steel stud square exterior and cement board that will then be filled with insulation. A sloped steel stud roof with no overhang. I will stucco it and it will finish somewhat similar to JAMES oven. I have fire brick as my arches, I flared my opening and did a 1" reveal. I built the oven so I have no more than 1/8 JOints everywhere. So a lot of cutting and Grinding was done. Now on to my questions.
1.I am planing on using clay chimney pipe, I cut 2 diagonally so it will flare from 14" by 7" to a 7" square (inside dimensions) and go straight up with a 2' length of 7" square. So my chimney will be 3' high on top of the arches.
Any problems noted with that?

2. I am going to mortar the chimney directly onto the brick arches. I was going to place brick around the chimney pipe about 2" tall and leave a 1/4" space between the brick and the chimney and fill it with high temp. Caulking, Doing this to add some strength and keep that joint from cracking and leaking smoke into my enclosure.
Any Problems or suggestions with that?

3. I am going to fill the whole enclosure including around the chimney (I am not putting any seperate enclosure around the chimney itself) with perlite insulation or the stuff from uline.
Any Problems or suggestions with That?

4. I want to put slate on the front. So should I leave the cement board back where it meets the Front arch brick on the side, So you would see both Cement Board and the Brick arch, and set tile onto the cement board and it also installs onto the Brick, Would the heat effect the Slate Install. I assume that the arch will get just about as hot as the rest of the oven. Or should I run the cement board to cover the arch and then set tile onto that. The problem would be that from the inside of the arch the side the cement board would be visible.
what is the best solution there?
Thanks for your replys and to the many ovens that have helped me along the way.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congratulations on being almost done. 3 rolls of insulation is the way to go. Insulation is key.
regards your questions, (though its been a week and you probably moved on):
1. Your tapering vent with the added extension should draw well.
2. Sounds fine, would love to see pics though.
3. Insulating your chimney and enclosure is good too. Heating up the clay pipe and keeping it warm will ensure good draft.
4. Not sure...the outer arch and arch walls do get quite warm. However, I've found my slate roof and stone facade get very hot in sun, so much so people think the ovens been on when it's been weeks since I fired it. I would think slate is as durable ad cement board. But that's just a guess.

Post your progress pics if you've got any, it's great to see different styles of ovens.

-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Serf

Here are some pics. Done with my phone so they arent great but...
Hopefully you can get an idea
I will try to take some other shots later.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest-image02082011172120.jpg   42" Pompeii WFO build (Tucson, Az) Please Critique Or Suggest-image01302011181040.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Serf

Do you have problems with the Cement board heating up where it touches the arch. If so Do you think it presents a problem for longevity if I was to mortar slate half on to the arch and half onto the cement board using the high temp home brew
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Apprentice

The arch will probably conduct heat from the inner oven, so the arch will expand and contract at a different rate than the cement board. Therefore, I wouldn't mortar slate to both the arch and the cement board.

I'd leave a space between the cement board and the arch, and disguise the gap with an extra row of tile mortared only to the arch.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Serf

I didn't think about that. That is a really Good idea, just butt two pcs together and let them contract independently.
Do you think there will be issues with heat on the slate conducting into the backerboard . I dont know the rating for cement board with heat. if they even have any.
Thanks for the idea, As much as I have thought about this. You never think about everything.