Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Thanks. I hope to start on the oven soon. This morning, I drove to the place where I purchased the floor insulation so I could swap out what I bought for Thermo-Gold. No one was around. I even called yesterday to make sure they were open. That puts me a few days behind.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Apprentice

Added layout lines on the hearth today. Once I swap out floor insulation, I'll start on the oven.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Kurt,
I like the way you did your forms and the rounded base for your oven . I am not sure if it showed up, but I did enter a Like for that post. Since FB has changed the looks of the page, I sometimes see the like button but, most of the times NOT .

I am not sure if it is on the site's end or mine .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Apprentice

Got it. Thanks again on the lead for the insulation supplier.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Laborer

Location: Central Texas. Dripping Springs, just west of Weird!

Hey Kurtloup,

In Houston is an insulation supplier called KTRefractories. The lady that answers the phone is Jane and very friendly. They have good prices and more importantly cheap shipping since they are close to you.

Your build is looking great!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Apprentice

Thanks. I think I have located everything I need locally at reasonable prices.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Master Builder

kurt

I am not sure if you have purchased firebrick yet, but i would recommend the Alsey medium duty bricks. It is what i used and is a superior brick and very uniform. They also have 12x12 tiles you can use for the floor. I also used their refractory mortar- so far all is good. The mortar has impressive strength characteristics, but it is pricy with shipping. Have you looked at the homebrew mix discussions and decided the mortar you are using?

Texman

Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Apprentice

Tex,

The only firebrick I found locally was Butler which is too bad as I could have bought it 5 minutes from my house. Tu in New Orleans told me about a supplier in New Orleans that sold Alsey brick. Tu made me the generous offer to borrow his saw, so I took a ride to New Orleans to pick up the saw and half the bricks I needed. I'll need to make a trip to pick up another 100 bricks soon. As far as mortar goes, I started another thread in a different section of the forum regarding Cedar Heights fireclay. There is a local ceramics supply house that sells 50 lbs. bags for about $25. I think I will use that for homebrew. Now I need to find lime. The Home Depot 1 mile from my house doesn't have it, but it is listed online as available at Lowe's. I haven't checked at the Lowe's near my house yet.

This afternoon, I went to the insulation supplier and bought 1.5" Thermo Gold calsil. The 2" board they sell had grooves for bending around pipe. I'll add the 1.5" Thermo Gold over the 2" Sproule perlite board I previously purchased. The perlite board is non-wicking, so maybe this will help with moisture wicking up into the calsil.

Last edited by Kurtloup; 04-03-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtloup View Post
Tu made me the generous offer to borrow his saw, so I took a ride to New Orleans.........

This afternoon, I went to the insulation supplier and bought 1.5" Thermo Gold calsil...................The perlite board is non-wicking, so maybe this will help with moisture wicking up into the calsil.
Kurt,
Tu is a great guy, (to loan you his saw) that I intend to meet in person one day . But then, that's how Saints fans are .

You did right buy going to the 1.5 over the perlite board which you already have. As for as wicking goes though, a simple piece of plastic, scrap vinyl floor covering, etc. placed between your floor insulation and your concrete hearth can stop that. There are masonry paints like Drylok also. But, they are a little on the expensive side.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Apprentice

The floor insulation is down and I started laying out the floor brick. Tomorrow, I start cutting bricks.