Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Curing fire number two in the books. Threw peppers over the coals. Roasted pepper, corn and chicken soup tomorrow.

Gulf and Bec1208 like this.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Apprentice

Curing fire number three this afternoon. I grilled skirt steak over the coals when the fire burned down.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Apprentice

Curing fire number 5 was last night. Cooked sausages, roasted eggplant and garlic and made pita. The kids insisted on a pizza made with pita dough. It wasn't bad.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Apprentice

Oh well, can't seem to attach the video using my phone.

Last edited by Kurtloup; 08-04-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Apprentice

Put on the base coat of stucco on the dome today and noticed a few cracks already. Is this a big deal since I will be adding at least two more layers? Should I consider using fiberglass mesh in the brown coat? The insulation was covered with chicken wire.

Last edited by Kurtloup; 08-04-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtloup View Post
Oh well, can't seem to attach the video using my phone.
Kurt,
I actually saw the video this morning. But, it was linked to an album. I'm not sure if was your album or just links to similar
videos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtloup View Post
Should I consider using fiberglass mesh in the brown coat? The insulation was covered with chicken wire.
I think you were planning on using home brew stucco. Quikcrete Scratch and Brown coat has some fibers in it. I found them when filtering the larger pea gravel out of the mix. I did not notice any cracking when I used it for my stucco layer. I did not use chicken wire. I used 1/2" mesh, but the chicken wire should be OK. Quikcrete also has a finish coat that has "crap loads" of fiber in it. It is white and will accept coloring very well. I did not use it as I was going to apply brick splits. One or two bags of the scratch and brown coat will probably get you to where you want to be since you have already applied one layer.

One tip that I found out on my dome for applying stucco to a compound curve. I used a 12" sheet rock taping knife to apply the stucco. They are pre-built with a curve in the blade. I did not use the handle when applying the stucco. I buttered the blade with the stucco and held each end of the blade while applying. Top down seemed to work best for me to keep the shape of the dome true.

EDIT: I'm enjoying your first cooks. I am pretty sure that I will be asking for recipes from you real soon .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 08-04-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Apprentice

Yeah, I was planning to use home brew for final coat. I used quikcrete base coat stucco this morning. I did see the quikcrete mix with fiberglass fibers. I may try that on the next level in lieu of the mesh. If all else fails, I'll brick over it.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Apprentice

Lit another fire tonight. That makes six curing fires. I think I am going to let it rip on the next one. I partially cleared the very top dome. Let's see if this video works.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your video worked - it's pretty cool to watch isn't it? When you go full throttle (fires of hell), get a bottle of wine and a front row seat. Watching the soot burn to the floor is awesome the first time you see it.
GarnerAC likes this.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Apprentice

Get your sourdough starter going and fire it up. Cracks add character.....just ask my wife.

Click to see my Thread:

Click to see Google web album: