Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.

Started my block build today. 8000 Lbs of block. Now I know why my slab needed to be 5.5 to 6 inches thick!! I had know Idea that the block and concrete would be that heavy.

I Unloaded the block on Saturday and dealt with 15 onlookers and visitors with all kinds of opinions haha. We had fun. worked our tails off getting it all unloaded etc.

On Sunday morning (today), I went to work. At the end of the day, it was almost done.
I am 1 week ahead of schedule. Time to start building forms etc. I have some stuff to finish but otherwise we are in good shape.

Moving to this kind of block for my stand made things really easy. However, It was a LONG day of cutting block and stacking etc.

Progress.....
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.-blockbuild1.jpg   42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.-blockbuild2.jpg   42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.-coors.jpg   42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.-blockbuild3.jpg  
Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Apprentice

Wink Re: 42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.

Ok after a long day on the Wet Saw, I completed my stand.
I installed a 4in Angle Iron and spent the day cutting block to fit. It is all done and glued down. Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.-blockcenter.jpg   42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.-blockright.jpg   42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.-blockleft.jpg  
Gulf likes this.

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow, what you did in a couple days took me a couple weeks. Nice quality work, except for the choice of beer. LOL. Looking forward to following your build.
Novaslo likes this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Apprentice

I meant to upload a shot that shows the Angle Iron. It took me most of the day to cut the block to have it fit and sit on the Angle iron.

I guess I could have gone with a smaller piece, however, I didn't want it to show in the front.
One thing I learned, the block is forgiving. You can cut it and chip it and shape it all kinds of ways.

After a while you gain confidence working with it. Getting it all cut on a 10in tile saw was a bit rough. Many cuts were probably a bit dangerous based on how I had to hold the block. I took my time and triple checked my safety each time.

My Harbor Freight saw is my new friend.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.-angleiron.jpg  

WC Fields

Link to my build

Old 04-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Apprentice

These blocks look great. You are off to a great start.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 04-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Master Builder

Those blocks make a nice job, certainly a step (or two) up from the standard blocks. You are right to triple check safety, it only takes a split second for those high speed blades to do some damage. I did a bit of work in a sawmill with large open saws and can still count to ten, unlike many other mill men.

Look forward to following your progress from this great start.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Peasant

Looking great!, I really like your blocks and layout. I look forward to following your build, as I have just started mine as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaslo View Post
I meant to upload a shot that shows the Angle Iron. It took me most of the day to cut the block to have it fit and sit on the Angle iron.

I guess I could have gone with a smaller piece, however, I didn't want it to show in the front.
One thing I learned, the block is forgiving. You can cut it and chip it and shape it all kinds of ways.

After a while you gain confidence working with it. Getting it all cut on a 10in tile saw was a bit rough. Many cuts were probably a bit dangerous based on how I had to hold the block. I took my time and triple checked my safety each time.

My Harbor Freight saw is my new friend.
You cut the block on a tile saw?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-24-2014, 01:22 AM
Apprentice

Yes on the tile saw.
It is regular concrete block, so that isn't the issue. The problem was it was a 6 in block and using a 10in saw was a problem. So I had to chip out what I couldn't cut.

I had to raise the saw to get to it, that was the tricky part.

Good news is, it is done and I won't have to do that again.

WC Fields

Link to my build

Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's moot now, but relief cutting with a grinder would have saved a lot of extra work.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Tags
42", pompeii, slab