Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Dino's build pretty much outlines the tapered entry but I am talking about the inner tapered arch which may have evolved after Dino's build. A tapered inner arch will make the dome to inner arch much a smoother tie-in. Dino's tapered entry is great but no reason why you cannot incorporate the taper inner arch as well. Your build is at the right transition point to do this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-15-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Apprentice

OK gotcha...looks like maybe 60% of a brick for each piece?

Link to my pictures

Old 10-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Master Builder

I did the tapered inner arch years ago and it was well worth the effort. If I remember correctly the upper part of my arch was a full brick and that tied in my entrance.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Start with a whole brick, the longest one will be top dead center (TDC) of the arch. Use your IT to scribe the outer and inner dome radius and the slope of the IT rod to determine you top angle and the arc of the inner radius to determine your bottom angle. They are not linear cuts as shown in the link I sent you and change from brick to brick as move either side of TDC.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 10-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

OK cool...I made the form for the arch today and will I'll try that tomorrow, though it may rain again here. I think that I should just tarp the oven and start building an ark!

Link to my pictures

Old 10-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Master Builder

I agree with the ark. I can say with great certainty that oven won't float. I have pictures somewhere on how I did my arch see if I can't dig them up for you. From my best memory I think the intersection from the dome to arch almost (again) almost got me into tears.

So like anything difficult in life...one brick at a time...and you'll do fine. :-)
Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Apprentice

LOL...I wish I had a "paint by numbers" procedure, but what help from all of you it's slowly coming together in my mind. I'm going to cement the structural entrance tomorrow if it doesn't rain to get some kind of commitment to the process. Then we'll see how the arch support that I've made will fit in. I'm also considering how I'm going to make a further arch support for the expansion of the entryway. Dino didn't use arch supports for that, but I'm going to need to do that.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Apprentice

...and thank you everyone for your comments. They are of significant help!

Link to my pictures

Old 10-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Apprentice

I didn't get to cement the entrance today, will try tomorrow morning. Then, as Faith said...it'll be brick by brick.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Apprentice

So I've been studying this transition and don't see where anyone has cut a 1" reveal on the outside of the arch bricks to accommodate the door.

Link to my pictures