Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Gudday
Pearlite cement is a sh$t to play with and introduces more moisture into your built that has to be dried out. I have dry insulation and it wasn't that hard to stucco over and achieve a good shape with a few layers.
If your enclosing the dome I would probably just chicken wire it over to hold it in place and pearlite the space . But I never have had any experience with enclosed ovens so you might follow the advice of someone with direct experience.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Apprentice

Finally finished another row...I should be growing mushrooms with this weather. I feel like one.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0460.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0461.jpg  

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Master Builder

I would fix that flat spot. Where the oven meets the arch. That is one of my do-overs that I wish I did on my oven. That flat spot catches everything like ash and coals when trying to clean out. So do your self a favor and nip off those corners now while you still can.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Apprentice

Hi Faith,
Do you mean that corner when looking outward from inside the oven? I think I understand what you're saying...just cut those corners so that ash doesn't get caught to the left and right of them right?
Thanks,
Paul

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Apprentice

Also, any ideas where to put a thermal break?

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Master Builder

Yes I think you and I are talking the same place. The straight edge of your wood IT base left and right of that first brick it touches, so the inner circle is continuous and does not have the flat spot at each end.

Thermal break would do well at the other end of that brick your trimming .
Old 10-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Apprentice

OK got it...does it make any difference on how much space to leave? I was thinking of getting the ceramic fiber caulk and rope..shoving the rope into the gap and caulking the top.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Master Builder

Sounds good just make sure it's food safe. Not like food would ever touch it but you don't want it shedding on the food. That is my other do over.... the thermal break... so others would have a better opinion on what to use...or just do a search on the site and I'm sure it was discussed in length at some point in the past.

Don't need much space the big thing is that they are not touching.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Apprentice

My guess is that the mdf is going to have to go after this weather.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Apprentice

That's what I thought...just a 1/4-1/2" cut across the floor for the break.

Link to my pictures