Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Ah yes, I read in someone's post that they also used sand to prevent the bricks from moving on the fiber board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
Have you gone with cutting the bricks in thirds? If so, what row did you start with?
Gudday
It will be above the arch before you have to worry about that.
It's going to be a little different dependent on the internal height of your oven as well.
For now the only thing I could suggest is to start your first brick of every row at the back of the oven that way when you have to cut a brick smaller as the rows circle tightens it can be located at the sides and front. If you do cut a brick smaller to keep the vertical bonds from lining up they will usually be around we're you did they for the previous row. Sometimes it will be better to go bigger at this point rather than getting smaller and smaller slithers.
One piece of advice which I wished I had know was at the completion of every row to set a single brick for the next row, do when you start the next you have something set to start off.
Hope something here helps
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
Ah yes, I read in someone's post that they also used sand to prevent the bricks from moving on the fiber board.
Gudday
That boards a good flat surface and now you have contained the hearth with a ring of mortared brick your good. When the ovens used any gapes will be filled with ash and be locked in.
Using fire clay and sand slurry is a way to level the hearth brick on an pearlite cement surface that wouldn't be as smooth as the board.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 10-13-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Speeling
Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 AM
Apprentice

Thanks,
I'm actually getting 2-3 smaller bricks in the circle, due to mortar joints. I like the idea of the starter brick for the next row. I wonder if anyone has tried doing more than one row in a day.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 04:16 AM
Apprentice

I used just sand to level the brick on the board. We have kyanite mines in VA and the kyanite sand is a by product of kyanite mining. It's a very fine sand that worked really well to level the bricks.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 04:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I build domes in 2.5 days in warm weather, 3.5 in cool /cold weather.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-13-2013, 05:52 AM
Apprentice

Oh cool! What are the lowest temp limits for using mortar?

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can use mortar in low temperatures if you keep it from freezing until it cures. HS 50 will set faster than regular mortar, so the brick needs to e kept warmer than the freeze point. Consider tenting in and heating if neccessary. We built an enier oven in below freezing temps under a heated tent before. Everything set well.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Apprentice

I'm hoping that I'll finish the oven before then...but working with the stone veneer on the outside of the foundation will likely go into the colder weather.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Apprentice

I bought enough blanket for three layers of insulation over the dome. The plans indicate that a vermiculite layer isn't necessary with three layers. What are everyone's thoughts?

Link to my pictures