Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Here's my IT, reused from Kurtloup and slightly modified to give it a lower profile. Loved someone's idea of using an angle finder.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0472.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Apprentice

Finished the soldier course today. This oven beat me up this weekend with the heat and back and forth between the garage, barn and oven. I also have four dogs and they seem to all want to poop around the oven area!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0472-001.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0477.jpg  

Link to my pictures

Old 10-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Apprentice

Despite the rain, finished the first course and cut the bricks for the second course. I'll have pix up when I can take the tarp off.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Apprentice

Finished half the second course and cut the bricks for the third course. Didn't realize that the drizzle would slowly thin out the mortar in the tray...had to add more dry mortar and gave up after finishing that batch of mortar....the weather won.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mirassou,

Just read your thread, great start. Here's a tip, mortar will fall into the gap between the floor and your soldier course which may limit the expansion gap and cause a possible cracks. Just run a strip of duct tape on the plywood and up the side of the 1st course all the way around the dome then the mortar won't fall in the gap. Good luck.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Russell, I'll do that. The cover board is pretty close to the edge, and I've been trying to keep the mortar off the board, but I'm sure that some would get through. Hopefully by tomorrow it'll start drying out enough to permit the tape to stick. I feel like I need to switch gears and start working on an ark.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 03:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Mirassou
You got yourself a tidy little build going on there . Well done, I recon you done your homework.
Don't forget to ask a few questions as you go though. You got the dreaded
( shouldn't be ) arch transition coming so your work now will have a bearing on it.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 AM
Apprentice

Hey Cobblerdave,
Good evening and thank you...we're just getting up and it looks like it's well into the evening for you! I'm actually patterning Dino's build and was just looking at cutting the bricks that make the sides of the arch

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 03:45 AM
Apprentice

Have you gone with cutting the bricks in thirds? If so, what row did you start with?

Link to my pictures

Old 10-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
........... Hopefully by tomorrow it'll start drying out enough to permit the tape to stick...........
If not, some loose sand will keep it from sticking. It can be vacuumed out later.