Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Apprentice

Default Campmaki's build

My question is in regards to the oven layout on top of the slab. What would be the maximum length someone would want to reach into an oven. Keep in mind the floor is at 40-1/2 inches high. My build is going to have a 4 in. brick veneer, so this has added extra depth to the build. It is not going to be a "housed" in structure, rather a brick veneered one that has shelves out of precast stone. As I have it laid out on paper, I have 49 inches from face of brick veneer to the center of the oven. The oven is a 42 inch. My vent depth construction is 4-1/2,6,4-1/2 for a total of 15 inches. My brick will veneer the outer edge of the firebrick, adding 4 inches. This leaves me with a precast work/ landing area 8 inches deep. I like that extra shelf in front but am concerned that it may be a reach into the ovens center. Anyone have any thoughts or measurements they would share, that would be great. thanks Wayne
Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Mine is 42" diameter. I have 15" from the exterior of the oven entrance to the edge of the entry floor, then another 9.5 from the edge of the floor to the edge of the hearth, for a total of 24.5 + 21 + 3 (thickness of entrance) = 47.5 to the center....not a problem at all for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Apprentice

About ready to start again on the enclosure after this nasty winter. Been firing the oven up every week or two for pizza.

Link to my pictures

Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
About ready to start again on the enclosure after this nasty winter. Been firing the oven up every week or two for pizza.
What are your plans for the enclosure?

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 04-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Apprentice

Hi NC, sorry for not getting to this sooner. If you look at my build, you'll see the walls and roof. I plan to use travertine pavers around the exterior walls. Haven't yet thought of the front landing yet...maybe a concrete counter with an embedded granite shelf.

Link to my pictures

Old 04-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Journeyman

Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 08-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Apprentice

Got back to the oven last week and finished bricking up the chimney. Next is the roof cap, then the soffits.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0007-002.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0032-003sm.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0031-003.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0030-003sm.jpg  

Link to my pictures

Old 08-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Journeyman

Chimney looks great.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 08-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Apprentice

Thanks hodgey1!

Link to my pictures

Old 08-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Apprentice

We're just finishing up with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot to celebrate the restart on the oven build any excuse for celebration!

Link to my pictures