Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Looking good mirassou. Glad to see your cooking de pies.

The vermiculite looks like it has some binding material in it. Was that troweled into place? I would like to add a little more insulation on top off what I got, but I fear it would not stay in place and end up in the soffit.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
I would like to add a little more insulation on top off what I got, but I fear it would not stay in place and end up in the soffit.
Stuff insulation between the top plate and the roof sheathing then fill away.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Apprentice

Thanks kbartman, it's all vermiculite, no binder. #4 size. It was windy yesterday and it seemed like half of it was blowing out and around the yard. I used more than I thought I would...over a cu. yard.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Stuff insulation between the top plate and the roof sheathing then fill away.
Good Idea stonecutter thanks, can't believe that slip my mind.

KB

Old 11-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Apprentice

Finished up on tar paper for the roof today, caulked the perimeter of the flue with hi temp caulk, cemented the crown for the chimney, and caulked all gaps. Ready to order the metal roof now.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

Ordered the steel roofing today. $225 and change for ribbed roof and accessories,, colored. Our local supplier is Better Living. The steel manufacturer is Welcome to Marco Metals, LLC. This included the roofing cut to qty 6 55" 3' panels, 1 ridgecap at 10.5' not cut, 1 endwall transition at 10.5' not cut and 4 sidewall pieces for the rake and fascia. I have a couple of 12" x 12' hardiplank vented soffit boards that I'll use for soffits.

Link to my pictures

Old 12-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Apprentice

Pizza has been wonderful with the oven, though not without spits and sputters along the way. Picked up the metal roofing the other day after some break time. The oven is tarped now and unfortunately it won't be used for the company holiday party tomorrow, but I'll hopefully be able to work on the roof in the next few days.

Link to my pictures

Old 12-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Apprentice

Finally started putting up the steel roof today as it was a little warmer outside. Unfortunately, I was a little overzealous and did all of the trim work, including the chimney endwall. After I'd finished, I realized that the endwall is supposed to go over the roofing, not underneath lol. So, I'll have to order another piece of endwall.

My continual learning on how to make pizza has been going well in that each session gets better. I still have an issue with too much elasticity in the dough and am trying different recipes to figure that one out.

Link to my pictures

Old 12-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Regards the dough that wants to spring back. It's as simple as putting the dough in the fridge to rest overnight. Let it come back to room temperature for an hour. You can leave it for 3 days if you want. It's as simple as that.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

00 flour is also better in reducing the tendency to continually springing back.