Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Pargeted the interior of the foundation yesterday and laid out dry bricks for the arch in front...like the Old Kentucky Dome done by Ken524. Also picked up my "bag" of vermiculite...2 yards!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

Started curing fires yesterday. I found that I could regulate the temps by pushing pieces of wood aside as they caught fire.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0016-002.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0021-002.jpg  

Link to my pictures

Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Apprentice

I think I'm about done enough with the curing fires to install the blanket insulation. Last night when I went out to check, it was 867 upper area of the dome inside/473 on the floor and 165 on the outside.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Journeyman

Based on those temperatures it sounds like your dome is almost dry but your floor is still a bit wet - but no worries it will continue to dry out as you cure and use it.

I agree that you are ready for insulation! Congratulations!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Boerwarrior! Today it was 994 and 624 on the floor around the coals after insulation, 43 degrees outside. Got some framing up too. I was able to use a 3M product, aluminum tape for flexible HVAC ducting. UL181B-FX. I used it for the first two layers and it held the ceramic fiber insulation laterally until I wired the final layer using annealed picture framing wire. I used several tapcon screws around the dome and the wire worked well. After framing, the dome cavity will be filled with vermiculite. Exterior framing is 2' tall around the perimeter.

The fiber blanket is nasty stuff. Definitely need gloves and a respirator, but it goes on easily. For the most part, it stays where you put it and it cuts easily with a razor or scissors.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0018-003.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0020-003.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0021-003.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0022-002.jpg  

Link to my pictures

Old 11-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Journeyman

looking good! Your insulation looks very similar to mine!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Apprentice

Thanks! I got mine from McGill's Warehouse.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Apprentice

Finished forming the 6 trusses today. The metal framing is interesting to work with. I think that the assembly goes quicker than wood, so far is easier to adjust and the members are true. Need to wear gloves though and the jury is out (for me) regards how everything will fit together. We'll see once I get the framing done and start putting on the Durock.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Apprentice

Installed all of the trusses today. Screwed up the first one and had to make another. The "cheat" that I'd planned with my carpenter to do the framing didn't work out due to his vehicle problems, so I'm doing the framing myself. Tarped tonight due to potential rain, but will get on to durock and roofing tomorrow. Mortared the first flue today...will install the second flue probably tomorrow. That should put the top over 2' above the peak of the roof. I'll need to frame around it for durock and loose vermiculite in between.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-20-2013, 03:36 AM
Apprentice

Finished up filling the interior with vermiculite, as well as the OSB for the roof yesterday. Also made our first pizzas...this was really cool! Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0023-003.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0028-001.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0034-003.jpg  

Link to my pictures