Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Oh, and starting course 12, I'm still using the IT and not using the exercise ball yet....going to see how far I can go. I figure cutting bricks for the vent transition to the chimney and alternating mortaring between the courses and the transition permits the vertical brick to set before mortaring the next one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Apprentice

The only problem is that the final course layout is out of round, due to errors in angles. It probably won't look pretty, but it'll get done

Link to my pictures

Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
Oh, and starting course 12, I'm still using the IT and not using the exercise ball yet....going to see how far I can go. I figure cutting bricks for the vent transition to the chimney and alternating mortaring between the courses and the transition permits the vertical brick to set before mortaring the next one
Gudday
That brilliant ! Alternate between the entrance and the dome. No wasted time no wasted mortar.
Regards davr

My Build

My Door

Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Master Builder

If you are determined you will get right through the dome with the IT. With the benefit of various bits to hold it together until the mortar goes off. I didn't use forms and it worked out fine.

All about personal preferences. Push the envelope.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 11-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Apprentice

Just a few more bricks to close the dome. I'm still using the IT, switching back and forth between the vent transition and the dome. I don't have the angles, so I'm going to cut triangles to fit between bricks in the last course before the final key stones. Can't wait to finish the dome and start the first curing fire!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0033-002.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0034-002.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0031-001.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0025.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0022.jpg  

42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0023.jpg  

Link to my pictures

Old 11-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Journeyman

Looks great. The alternating between dome and arch was a good idea and seems to be working good for you.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 11-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Apprentice

Definitely, and Deejayoh's comment about mixing a little wetter works well if you can find that sweet spot.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Apprentice

nice build, great work on entry arch

Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Ireland5!

Link to my pictures

Old 11-04-2013, 02:17 AM
Master Builder

Looking Good!! Now the plug. :-)