Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Oh cool! I'll try that this afternoon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
Thanks Faith! I've already lost some pounds Someone recently posted a link to a video of some folks building a brick ceiling. The mortar looked watery, but the bricks just held with no other support! I wonder what the difference is in the bucket mixture vs. heat stop made at home.
Was that video tilted "Boveda catalana"? (catalan vault) I have seen that one or many more like it. Builders don't typically use centering for cohesive arch construction. If what you saw had multiple layers, it is a timbrel vault...the one Guastavino is famous for. The first layer in a timbrel vault is built using clay tile and gypsum for mortar.

I'm pretty sure the video you saw is of cross (groin) vault construction using handmade brick....what they are using is lime mortar, and it is loose like that because the bricks suck the moisture out of the brick very fast...as you probably noticed. No refractory quality at all.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Apprentice

That's it! There's certainly a "wow" factor there.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I looked up some info I have and sometimes there is portland added to the building mix of those vaults. The water content of the mix definitely has to do with the porosity of the brick....it mechanically bonds in less than 30 seconds.

Timbrel or a ribbed cross vault is in my very near future.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Apprentice

It's just amazing...I'm still stuck on the difference between cement and mortar LOL.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Apprentice

Finished course 9 today, in addition to the outer arch...it's still standing!

Link to my pictures

Old 10-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
..I'm still stuck on the difference between cement and mortar
Cement is a general term for Portland Cement powder.

Cement (Portland) is used as a component of mortar powder. Combined with various amounts of lime, you get types M,N,S,O mortar. Not all mortar used for unit masonry contains Portland though, such as Lime, gypsum or clay mortar.

Concrete has Portland cement as the binder, aggregate and sand.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Apprentice

I've been attempting to get some consistency between batches of mortar and it's very difficult due to weather conditions and the level of moisture in the bricks. deejayoh commented that he just used the IT for the entire dome. I was able to do this on course 9 with one batch, about a half dozen bricks. It seems like there's a sweet spot with moisture content of the mortar vs. moisture content of the brick...I just find it difficult to achieve.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Apprentice

Took a work break, but started course 10 today and cut a few more bricks for the vent transition. I didn't realize when someone mentioned it, but I had a case of the dreaded droop at the inner arch transition. I cut some slices and mortared them in to fix it...I may have to do a few more after course 10.

My carpenter emailed me as he is short on work, so I may cheat and have him do the framing for the enclosure

Link to my pictures

Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Apprentice

Finished course 10 and 11 and started course 12 today. Also started working on shaping bricks to form a level surface to hold the chimney flue. I'm thinking now that I won't need buttressing on the arch sides, as half the weight will be supported by the inner arch/dome, and I'm going to frame Durock 2" around the flue and fill the cavity with vermiculite. Where it pops out of the roof, I'll use either stucco or brick veneer.

Looks like the vent opening will be something like 11x12.

Link to my pictures