Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Gudday
I'm quite surprised in how much that ceramic weighs! It's a good thing you have considered buttressing for strength.
Enjoy watching you build its coming along well!
Regards dave
mirassou likes this.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
Hey Dave, Yes, I see that, and I don't like that I can't see the inside with the ball...if I use it, I'll probably inflate and deflate. It does well with a couple of bricks at a time, then I take it out and use the IT.

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Another exercise ball tip that goes along with what you mentioned about not seeing the inside. I found that once I dry set an entire ring and had the ball inflated to where I wanted, completing the ring went very quickly which enabled me to deflate and clean and touch up inside prior to the mortar being overly set. I would highly recommend its use on the last few remaining chains.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Master Builder

Rookies....LOL... :-)
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-img_2074.jpg  
mirassou likes this.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Apprentice

OK Ms. professional oven maker I'm not proud. Some of us need all the crutches we can get! And, by the way, those chains are beautiful!

Link to my pictures

Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Apprentice

Here's the progress so far. Finished up the outer arch (it hasn't fallen yet as I gingerly removed the supports and the form). On course 9 now.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0017-001.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0012-002.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0014-001.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0015-001.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0011-003.jpg  

42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0018-001.jpg  

Link to my pictures

Old 10-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Master Builder

Looking good! won't be long till your doing some curing fires. Now you start getting into the back breaking rings. The hunching over to set the bricks will start to take it's toll.

BTW I did not use home brew, I used a refractory mortar from a bucket. The stuff was so sticky I could set a 10 lb brick to my ceiling and have no worries of it falling. Just thought the picture was impressive. (like magic)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Faith! I've already lost some pounds Someone recently posted a link to a video of some folks building a brick ceiling. The mortar looked watery, but the bricks just held with no other support! I wonder what the difference is in the bucket mixture vs. heat stop made at home.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Master Builder

My mortar was smooth as silk so it was made with powdered mix. Perhaps the sand acts like little ball bearings and assists with the slide factor. The stuff I used was easy to work with.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Apprentice

I think part of it has to do with the moisture content and how I wet the bricks. I'm attempting to make the mortar like peanut butter, and just briefly wet the bricks. They seem to set quicker and better that way. If the mortar is either too wet or too dry, or the bricks are too dry, they slide.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I found if the mortar is a bit runnier, and you hold the brick for a moment after setting - it will absorb the water, dry out the mortar, and hold. I built my whole dome without using any support except the IT that way