Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Cemented the rest of the third course above the soldier and more than half the fourth course today, as well as the entryway...tomorrow I'll try to tackle the angle cuts on the dreaded arch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
Allied has 12 x 12 and 8.5 x 12 pipes, but they also have an 8" inside diameter thimble which is 18" in height. I think I'll get a couple of these. With the roofline, I may need three.
Mirassou,
Don't cut yourself short most the ovens I've seen with the 8" flues mostly have smoke stains on the decorative arch. I went with a 8" x 17" glad I did, it also work out great transitioning the outer arch to vent/chimney. The smaller 8" depth worked to my advantage keeping the vent area depth to a minimum. Just my opinion.

KB

Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Apprentice

OK, I understand, will go for the larger one

Link to my pictures

Old 10-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Apprentice

Finally cut the bricks for the arch today...I fussed with it for ages...I still have an issue in that the depth of the slope does not equal 4.5", so I'm going to have to figure that one out.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0454-004.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0455-004.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0457-004.jpg  

Link to my pictures

Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Apprentice

Now that I think of it, I'm still either going to need to notch the bricks on each row that covers the arch, or I may need to re-cut all of the bricks in the arch in order to get 4.5" of depth in the slope to carry each of the bricks on the rows.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Apprentice

Cemented the 4th course above the soldier and half the 5th course today--committed to the angle bricks for the start of the arch at 35 degrees, as well as the arch brick cuts done the other day...doing them each side one at a time and I'm not re-cutting the arch bricks like I previously indicated. They'll do fine. It's starting to get steep now!

Link to my pictures

Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You will be happy you spent the effort to do a taper arch. Looks good. The most important part is the inside match of the arch to the dome not so much that your slope on the arch brick are not 4.5"

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 10-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Apprentice

On course 6 now! Onward and upward!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0021.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0019.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0015.jpg   42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia-dsc_0012-001.jpg  

Link to my pictures

Old 10-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Journeyman

Paul, once you get all the rings over the arch it goes much faster. Your only 7 or 8 rings away from having the dome finished. Looks great and keep up the good work.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement Chris! The cuts are sometimes frustrating and take time, but I love working with the mortar. Need to get another bag of Heat Stop tomorrow, and figure out the flue issue. There's 12x12 and 8.5x17, so I'll probably delay exchanging my smaller flue until I move upwards on the vent

Link to my pictures