Old 06-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Peasant

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Build in Boca

Getting closer! Next, finish the arch and flue base. Lots of grinding to get a smooth entry to the chimney, otherwise straight forward. Added more arch and arch form pics.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-arch2.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-arch2front.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-archformjustremoved.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-archsupportback.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-archsupportside.jpg  

Last edited by rlodad; 06-26-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: More pics
Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Peasant

Finally finished the dome. Others have made elaborate multi-angled dome keystones. I am neither that skilled, nor that willing to wait for pizza. I finished up the final courses, and found myself left with a cone shaped hole. Took out the grinder, got the final brick's end to fit in the hole, and filled in the periphery with wedge shaped firebrick scraps and Heatstop. Used Pilates ball, worked like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-landingwitharch.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-lastdomebrick.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-pilatesball-inside.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-pilatesball.jpg  
Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Peasant

Now comes another decision I made only because it made sense to me, but I am not sure it was correct. I decided to begin the curing fires without any insulation, just bare bricks. Why? My feeling (caution, I am not an engineer!!!!) is that if you want to get water out of your bricks and heatstop, why push the steam into your insulation? I figured that if I got the bricks and heatstop mostly cured, when I put on the insulation, it wouldn't need as long to dry out- especially the Perlcrete. I put on 3 x 1" ceramic blanket and 5" of Perlcrete over that. There are opinions for both methods on the site, and frankly I am not sure if either is correct. My oven is done, and the curing went well, so it seems to have worked.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-ceramicblanketperlcrete.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-cheapperlite.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-domedoneback.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-perlcreteontop.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-perlcretedone.jpg  

Last edited by rlodad; 06-26-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: More pics
Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Peasant

Curing fires... Sorry about the piano shot, I figured if my masonry doesn't look out of place behind a YAMAHA Baby grand piano, I am probably doing all right. The last pic is the dome FINALLY!!!! turning white again. For me the hardest part about getting the oven to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit wasn't time in curing or fire time, but wood. I have lots of Mahogany and Live Oak that came down during hurricane Wilma. The Mahogany burns very cool, with lots of smoke. The Live Oak burns much hotter, and for much longer. I could never get the oven above 600 degrees with Mahogany, it was easy with the oak. I loved seeing the black smoke residue burn off- I got my old beautiful dome back! Also, didn't see any cracks to dome or arch before putting on the insulation. I have no idea why...
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-firstfire2.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-pianofire.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-secondfire.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-roarinfire.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-thewhitedomereturns-.jpg  

Old 06-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Master Builder

Are you still curing the oven? If so, I wouldn't get the oven up to 1,000F. That's way too hot for a curing fire.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Apprentice

Good to see im not the only one who accidently lined up a few brick joins together!

Looks awesome! cant wait to see the final product! keep posting them pics!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Peasant

I am finished curing the oven. I cured it over two weeks, and then could not get it over about 700 degrees at the dome even with a long roaring fire. I switched to the Live Oak, and the fire was much hotter and the dome cleared almost to the soldier course (see pic). The oven is done (I am going to post more pics when time allows), except for finishing up the stucco (surface bonding cement with acrylic fortifier) on the dome. We have done pizza, bread, steaks and chicken and all is great except I still need to work out the kinks in the pizza dough. Great father's day, got this jointed cherry cube with pics of my kids and a note engraved in the top! Even just for this the oven was worth the work!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-dadsdaypresent.jpg  
Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Peasant

In terms of the lining up of the joints, I am very dedicated, but when you are moving fast, I can't see how anybody doesn't "catch up" on the brick joints as the courses get smaller and overlap one or two at least. I think most cracking is from aligning multiple vertical joints (>2), and using too little mortar or curing improperly. I see pics on the site with bricks placed having huge gaps in the mortar, which can't be good for external cracking. Also, I'm not sure outside cracks are all that important. If I saw one on a joint on the INSIDE of the dome, I'd worry. But don't worry- make pizza! Thanks for the comment, I thought I was so boring and the post so repetitive that nobody was even lurking! :^)
Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Apprentice

Im pretty sure ive worn out my F5 button wiating on more pictures, really liked the setup.

Im about 2months from finished so hoping i get make some big progress soon! Such an enjoyable process though!.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Peasant

Ask questions if you need to, most think we are the only ones wondering how to do things at different stages, when most builders probably were worried about the same subject and afraid to ask. We in the US will answer, but probably when you "upside down" people are asleep, so give it 10-12 hours for the answer. OTOH, with 4 kids, my free time is midnight when you are probably awake! When I post at that hour, I usually get answers from the Philippines, Guam, Japan, NZ and Australia. BTW, where did the OZ moniker for Australia come from?

Last edited by rlodad; 06-20-2011 at 08:11 AM.