Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Peasant

Talking Re: 42" Pompeii Build in Boca

Stage 5, Perlcrete hearth pour- be careful, don't cover family handprints on hearth! Again, I'm cheap, so I did Perlcrete instead of FB board. Only point here is don't sweat the crumbly nature of the insulating hearth Perlcrete, it hardens up and holds the oven perfectly. I also put a pic of the stand as I put down the hardibacker board- no room after 5 pics in last post. I had extra cinder blocks, so I made a small support wall in the center of the stand.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-insulatinghearth.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-insulatinghearthform.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-fireclaysandmix.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-kidprints.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-standhardibacker.jpg  

Last edited by rlodad; 06-19-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Peasant

Default Re: 42" Pompeii Build in Boca

One point I forgot regarding the stand- Use Hardibacker, unless you can't get it locally. It requires minimal support, and doesn't have to be removed. Just put in on the blockstand, cover with concrete and it's there for eternity. Plywood is more expensive, needs an elaborate stand to support it, and must then be disassembled when the concrete is dry. Hardibacker is available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Last edited by rlodad; 06-19-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Peasant

Wink Re: 42" Pompeii Build in Boca

Third fire today, but back to where I've been. Next step after insulating hearth is fireclay and sand base, and firebrick floor. So off to Cemex Concrete in Delray Beach, just north of Boca. First batch is 200 firebricks and three bags of Heatstop 50. I thought about mixing my own refractory mortar 3:1:1:1, but I am even more paranoid than cheap. The heatstop 50 is $65 a bag, but not mixing low quality mortar and losing your hard work is priceless. The cool part about picking all this stuff up is that your nerdy minivan becomes (sing in Tex-Mex accent) a low-ride-er...
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-lowrider.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-200firebricks.jpg  

Last edited by rlodad; 06-19-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Peasant

Moving on. After carrying 200 firebricks and 3 bags of heatstop around to the backyard (this is why you should have a concrete company do the pour for you), you are ready to ACTUALLY START BUILDING A BRICK OVEN!!!!!!!!!
So, you put together a crummy but functional version of a hendo dome gauge (RIP, Mr. Henderson, I wish I'd made a version of your tool that looked like an adult made it), My first hendo gauge was simply a threaded rod attached to a door hinge. Then I got further up the dome and realized these builders had a reason for attaching a woodworker's clamp- it holds the bricks in place and fights gravity while the mortar dries. Next, lay out firebricks in a herringbone pattern, and draw out the dimensions of the oven and landing on the bricks. Cut the bricks keeping in mind that there is no such thing (as far as I know) as a masonry band saw. You therefore are going to make a series of straight cuts along the edges of all the outside curves of the oven floor, yielding a round surface. They look good in pictures. They look lousy in person. Don't sweat it. Decide if you want a soldier course or not, and start cutting fire bricks in half. Do that for the entire weekend.

At least.

I'm not kidding...

When you are sure the floor and soldiers are ready, place the floor on the fireclay base, and make sure it is level. Then place soldiers either at the periphery of the floor, or on top of the periphery of the floor. If on the fireclay, be sure there is an expansion joint (1/8") between the floor and the soldiers.

Relax.

Drink a cool refreshing drink.

Thank wife for watching kids.

Dream happy dreams knowing that when people show up at the house and ask, "what the hell is that?" you can say, "It's a brick oven!" and they will actually believe it because it looks like one for the first time!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-firsthendotry.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-firsthendowithsoldiercourse.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-fullsoldierdrylayout.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-flooronperlcrete.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-level-floor.jpg  

Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Peasant

True, True.

I laid out the herringbone pattern on the insulating hearth, and realized the bricks I had cut weren't wide enough at the inner arch level. (I only measured once before I cut...). I didn't feel like cutting all those bricks again, so just for the landing, I made them straight. The bricks making up the floor of the oven are still herringbone shaped. I hardly touch the landing with the peel when placing food in the oven, so I don't imagine having the landing with straight placed bricks will be a problem. When I post more pics, you'll see that the landing is much more rectangular than in the pics before install, where it is almost triangular. Boy, you guys look closely. I have to be more careful in picking pics!

:^)

Thanks.

Last edited by rlodad; 06-07-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Peasant

Doug,

BTW, brilliant minds think alike. We both bolstered our stands with an extra middle stand of blocks...

G'Day

(Is that right)?

Brad
Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Peasant

OK, back to post more. One statement to start: I posted before that Perlcrete is my least favorite substance on earth. It is now #2. Stucco is #1. We'll get to stucco pictures later, but suffice it to say, I hate the stuff.

So I laid the herringbone pattern firebrick floor on the sand fireclay mix (despite the fact I didn't take a picture of it when it was done properly), and it was time for the soldier course. I wanted a 19" dome, and so thought the best method was a half height soldier course. I am lazy, so I didn't cut the brick tops. Seemed to work well in my dome layout.

After the soldier course, did the inner arch. Thought the dome would be the hardest part, but actually the dome was relatively easy except for the attachments to the inner arch. Even that wasn't too hard. Seems everybody sweats taking out the arch form, thinking the arch is going to collapse. I wouldn't sweat it. I am terrible at this and mine has survived many oven firings. Just give the arch a day or two before pulling the form. Later addition: pics of 6th course with the world's most lame hendo gauge and clamp. Sorry again Hendo!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-firsthendowithsoldiercourse.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-thearchstands.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-archformjustremoved.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-hendosashamedcourse6side.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-course5toarch.jpg  

Last edited by rlodad; 06-26-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: More pics available
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Peasant

The arch stands! The initial courses are easy, but slow, so just plod along and get it done. I found a source of inspiration (there are lots of sources of perspiration) to be my lonely basil plant. It just sat there looking for a superb pizza to donate to. I had to get the oven done! Again, thanks to Hendo for helping me keep those bricks up at the top of the dome. Gravity is not your friend there! As 1,000,000 others have said, cover the floor of the oven when mortaring the dome, and keep the inner dome clean as you go- it is easy to clean when soft, hard to get the excess mortar off with a grinder!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-basilneedspizza.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-course5toarch.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-hendogaugeinside.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-hendoinside2.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Peasant

Next up- finish the dome. This was surprising to me. I thought the top courses, despite having fewer bricks, would take forever. I was wrong. It seems you go from course 10 to done in 20 minutes. Satisfying, except that you realize you can no longer clean from the outside! All the pics of climbing in the oven are cute. Climbing in the oven stinks for adults!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-pilatesball.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-pilatesball-inside.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-keystone.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-domedoneback.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Peasant

Climbing in the dome stinks for adults. For kids, what could be more fun? James said somewhere he wanted kid pics, so here they are. My 15 Y.O. was out of town so only the 3 little piggies are in the pics. Pics of me in the oven? Not on your life!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii Build in Boca-droast.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-mroast.jpg   42" Pompeii Build in Boca-nroast.jpg