Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: 42 in Kalamazoo

Riverview Refractory Service 269-685-8923 They are up in Plainwell. Jim is such a nice guy and he knows his refractory materials. I got the tour yesterday he would have anything your still needing. If you go there you will see some pallets with my name on it. Things are so heavy I'll need to make 2 more trips.

Hay if you go or call tell them I said hello. Faith
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
I'm picking up another load of firebrick. Where did you get your material?
Faith, are you rebuilding, building in addition to, or???

Just curious..

Chris
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Peasant

Faith, I have spoken to Jim, will get my insulation from him. Thought he only had high duty brick though. What are you paying per brick?

Tim
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Master Builder

Chris, I've decided to build new in addition to. I'm going to start a small bakery with WFO. I was thinking of a white oven but decided to just build two barrel vault ovens. My other current oven will be for pizza and other stuff.

Tim if I told you, you would cry. The brick I bought is not for a standard pizza oven. It will be for a bakery oven with 11 inches of thermal mass. These bricks are high duty #1 wedge and are 9" long 6" wide. Perfect for what I'm building. What I bought from Jim were extra brick that he has been sitting on and storing for a long time.

deejayoh made a post a while back with this link

Refractory Brick | eBay

I bought his entire lot of 6-3/4 pallets 24,000 lbs and three trips to Michigan.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Faith, Congrats and my best to you on your new endeavor. I look forward to the progress on your new build verbal or otherwise!!
And hopefully a report or two on your baking successes..

Chris
Old 05-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Peasant

Faith, not sure if you are a micro beer drinker, but if you are check out Short's beer. It's only in Michigan and they do some crazy stuff but it's all incredibly good.

Tim
Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Peasant

Got another chain done today and tied them into the side of the inner arch. Still trying to figure out the best way to measure the arch bricks. I've borrowed a 10" miter saw with a diamond blade. Any advice Mike?
Attached Thumbnails
42 in Kalamazoo-oven-6.jpg   42 in Kalamazoo-oven-5.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Peasant

The thing I am unsure about is whether to leave the 1/2 bricks for the inner arch square and have big mortar gaps on the top or try to cut angles on both sides to make a more even mortar line? If angles than whats the best way to measure?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Journeyman

Hi tagertim - good luck with your build.
Quote:
The thing I am unsure about is whether to leave the 1/2 bricks for the inner arch square and have big mortar gaps on the top or try to cut angles on both sides to make a more even mortar line? If angles than whats the best way to measure
I guess it is the taper you want to measure. That will depend on the arch radius. Have a look at one of texmans latest posts. He describes in good detail how to get the correct taper.
You just need to do a fairly basic math calculation to out the difference between the outside of the arch and the inside, and divide it by the number of bricks. You will need to make some allowance for the mortar joint.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Master Builder

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been away.

There are some calculations available to help determine the proper taper for the brick. I can't find them in my notes, but a quick google search at masonry calculations should help.

I also found this tool quite helpful in keeping my tapers consistent. It's an "Angle-izer". Found it at home Depot, but it's also on amazon. It included a CD with instructions and some calculators to help with the arch. This is a pretty neat tool to have for other tasks around the home as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.