Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 42 inch Pompeii build i Norway

I cut my floor bricks yesterday with an angle grinder. Dust was flying all over the place.
The first couple of bricks went fine but gradually the blade became dull and would hardly cut though the bricks. I got myself cleaned off and drove down to the hardware store and got a new blade, went home and started cutting again and the same thing happened, the blade would hardly cut after a few bricks. So I tried cutting into some concrete blocks and after a few seconds the blade started cutting like normal again. So when ever I felt the blade wasn't cutting like it should, I just cut in to a concrete block and it was back to normal. Submerging the bricks in water for a minute prior to cutting also made them a lot easier to cut.
I'm glad I decided to lay the dome on top of the floor bricks, the cuts I'm making aren't good enough for anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
42 inch Pompeii build i Norway-img_0083.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The blades glaze up when cutting hard bricks, more so with vitrified house bricks.
Cutting some concrete or set mortar takes off the glaze as you found out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
The blades glaze up when cutting hard bricks, more so with vitrified house bricks.
Cutting some concrete or set mortar takes off the glaze as you found out.
Yea, I'm glad I stumbled on to that one. I was about to give up after the second blade went dull.
Just for fun I cut a couple of dome bricks yesterday on the mitre saw and the same thing happened with that blade. I'm looking forward to trying it again with my new found knowledge of brick cutting

Last edited by Steellearning; 07-18-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 AM
Apprentice

It actually happen to me yesterday onto last few bricks it was making sparks!! Couldn't figure out what was going on. I'm glad this post popped up I will try your method to resolve. Using 14" blade on a dewalt cutoff saw( by the way it worked great for a borrowed saw)
Old 07-18-2013, 04:47 AM
Peasant

You may want to cut your plywood form into thirds and reconnect the sections with hinges. It will make it easy to remove when finished. BTW those cuts look smooth to me. It think you'd be fine setting your dome on the outside if the larger size was what you wanted.
John
Old 07-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post
It actually happen to me yesterday onto last few bricks it was making sparks!! Couldn't figure out what was going on. I'm glad this post popped up I will try your method to resolve. Using 14" blade on a dewalt cutoff saw( by the way it worked great for a borrowed saw)
My blade would spark after a few cuts. When I cut in to the concrete something like molten metal or slag (red hot, not sparks) rolled off the blade, not much but I think enough to expose fresh diamond. Then it was like new again.
Wetting the bricks helped a lot too.... it helped keep the blade sharper for longer periods.
It doesn't take long to soak a brick, about a minute and its almost soaked through to its core.
I've never seen this mentioned on the forum but it could be, people are discarding their blades a little too early? I know my first thought was "Get a new blade"
Old 07-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvfox View Post
You may want to cut your plywood form into thirds and reconnect the sections with hinges. It will make it easy to remove when finished. BTW those cuts look smooth to me. It think you'd be fine setting your dome on the outside if the larger size was what you wanted.
John
Thanks, I'll cut it into manageable sections right before I start on the dome, wanted to get the floor and insulation cut and installed first.
It's 42 inches inside, these things are huge in real life. They don't look as big as they are during the planing stages.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Apprentice

oh yea!! molten metal is right very dangerous! floor looks good to me. I cut my floor in three pieces from the vent landing back leaving a l/r and center I then used duck tape to hold them together
Old 07-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Master Builder

Soaking bricks has been very thoroughly discussed on the forum. Not sure what thread but it did get people emotionally engaged I recall. I took the middle ground and wet them a bit to stop the bricks sucking the moisture straight out of the mortar.
There are pros and cons to it and any moisture added to the dome by soaking bricks has to be driven out when you cure it.
My bricks may not be as hard as yours but I did the whole build on one blade (14" wet saw) and it is still got life in it. I had no problem with sparks!
Whatever works for you is the go.
GIANLUCA likes this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Soaking bricks has been very thoroughly discussed on the forum. Not sure what thread but it did get people emotionally engaged I recall. I took the middle ground and wet them a bit to stop the bricks sucking the moisture straight out of the mortar.
There are pros and cons to it and any moisture added to the dome by soaking bricks has to be driven out when you cure it.
My bricks may not be as hard as yours but I did the whole build on one blade (14" wet saw) and it is still got life in it. I had no problem with sparks!
Whatever works for you is the go.
I hated to soak the bricks, thinking about the extra moisture I would need to get rid of during curing. But I was at my wits end trying to keep the dust down and reducing the glaze build-up. I had read on the forum that many soaked their bricks before mortaring and cutting so I figured I'd try it. I might be able to reduce the 1 minute soaking or might not need it at all. But I've really only cut the floor so I haven't had a chance to experiment much.
I was surprised on how fast the bricks soaked up the water though. I think when I get to the stage of mortaring my bricks they'll only need a quick dunk in the bucket or maybe just a spray of water.
Having a wet saw is a great advantage, no dust, keeps the blade cooler and less build-up of glaze on the blade. Its when the blade glazes up that the sparks start flying and the blade stops cutting.
I'm "still learning" this stuff and I might go for a wet saw yet just because of the dust. We'll see how it goes when I start using the mitre saw and the wife sees how dusty things get.