Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42 inch Pompeii build i Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Go ahead with that if you wish, but using fired clay that has been crushed is really like adding an aggregate. The powdered unfired clay has much smaller particles and imparts stickiness to the mortar that the crushed fired clay will not. Some builders use the slurry left over from their brick cutting which is much the same thing as chamotte.
VeryTrue,
But, that depends on just how "fine" you decide to "screen/sieve" it . In your pan you will have every thing from brick chips to dust.

just say'n .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Go ahead with that if you wish, but using fired clay that has been crushed is really like adding an aggregate. The powdered unfired clay has much smaller particles and imparts stickiness to the mortar that the crushed fired clay will not. Some builders use the slurry left over from their brick cutting which is much the same thing as chamotte.
If chamotte only acts as a aggregate, like sand, then I think I should be looking for something else.
I've seen pottery clay that contain small amounts of chamotte to minimise shinkage.
Does the fireclay and sand mixture used for leveling under the floor bricks harden?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steellearning View Post
If chamotte only acts as a aggregate, like sand, then I think I should be looking for something else.
I've seen pottery clay that contain small amounts of chamotte to minimise shinkage.
Does the fireclay and sand mixture used for leveling under the floor bricks harden?
it will harden if it gets wet.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Laborer

OK I've found a white pottery clay that contains 25% chamotte with a max grain size of 0,5 mm. Raw burn 960C. Suggested burn 1220C. I think this might work?
They also carry different grain sizes.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That sounds ok, but treat the Chamotte content as sand in the home brew mix when calculating proportions.

Last edited by david s; 06-12-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: iPad typo
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Laborer

Quote:
That sounds ok, but treat the Chamotte content as sand in the home brew mix when calculating proportions.
I received an email from the people selling the clay and they said I could get the same clay without the Chamotte. So I'll be doing that.
After I get all the stuff I need for the Homebrew, is there any way I can test the mix to see if its working the way it should?

I've found Cal-sil board, at least I think thats what it is: http://www.skamol.com/media/SKAMOTEC...-10katalog.pdf
One 120 x 240 x 5 cm board cost around $260,00. Let me know if this will work and if 5 cm is enough.

More pics of my progress...
Attached Thumbnails
42 inch Pompeii build i Norway-img_0030.jpg   42 inch Pompeii build i Norway-img_0031.jpg   42 inch Pompeii build i Norway-img_0028.jpg   42 inch Pompeii build i Norway-img_0032.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steellearning View Post

I've found Cal-sil board, at least I think thats what it is: http://www.skamol.com/media/SKAMOTEC...-10katalog.pdf
One 120 x 240 x 5 cm board cost around $260,00. Let me know if this will work and if 5 cm is enough.

More pics of my progress...
Based on the specs, it sounds like it's the right stuff. The recommended thickness is roughly 5cm, though many on the forum have doubled up and put in a full 4"/10cm. That said, a 120X240cm piece is way more than you need, and you likely could cut it in half and have two layers.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Journeyman

well it's 45% calcium oxide and 45% Silica which sounds like CalSil board to me!

5cm is essentially 2 inches - so yes, that should be thick enough

Neil
Old 06-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Apprentice

looking good!!!

I have started to cut my bricks using a 14" dewalt brick cut off saw its working fine so far,I also will be using a 4" grinder with a diamond blade for finer sharper cuts definatly wear ear protection louder than i thought ear plugs and ear muffs together...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post
looking good!!!

I have started to cut my bricks using a 14" dewalt brick cut off saw its working fine so far,I also will be using a 4" grinder with a diamond blade for finer sharper cuts definatly wear ear protection louder than i thought ear plugs and ear muffs together...
I'm thinking about buying a cheap mitre saw and put a diamond blade on that.
Brick saws are just too expensive in Norway. I'll make sure to use ear protection and buy a good dust mask pluss I'll hook the saw up my vac. Looking forward to following your build. You did a good job on cutting those floor bricks.

I won't be able to pour the top slab before next week. Looking forward to that so I can start on the fun stuff.