Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

congrats on the plug

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Master Builder

Congratulations. The care taken with your work is obvious. Very nice.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Journeyman

Wow!!!
Very impressived a flared entry at rocket speed. Congratulations on closing the dome ......Where is your ritualistic pictures? Must post your head in the oven Iím told.

KB

Old 06-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Laborer

Thanks Greenman and KB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Wow!!!
Very impressived a flared entry at rocket speed. Congratulations on closing the dome ......Where is your ritualistic pictures? Must post your head in the oven Iím told.
After the plug was placed I pulled my template and did some final cleanup in the oven. I had a couple of 2x6's and a some plywood spanning from a ladder to the oven opening. I had placed some tape around the floor beneath the template in case stuff oozed down the side. I'm 6'2 and a little north of 250 so that opening is a bit on the snug side. At one point I was on my stomach with my legs flailing around so I could reach the last bit of tape against the back wall. Thankfully, my wife was in the house and had no idea of what I was doing (at least that's what she said) and no pictures have surfaced......not yet anyway.......no one would want to see that!

Link to my build:
Old 07-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Laborer

Amazingly, I was able to meet the overly ambitious self-imposed deadline. Today is my wife's fiftieth birthday and we were able to have pizza for a small gathering of family and friends. The oven is far from complete, as the enclosure is only a minimal frame and barely supported roof to keep the rain off, but it is cooking!

I cured it in about 6 days, first using charcoal which is quite easy to control temps with, then adding wood to get it to higher temps. I only have one layer of insulation on so far but it was able to maintain temps very well. Cooked about 10 pies and although my dough handling skills require development, the crowd really liked the pizza and are anxious to do it again.

It really was fun and made the effort of construction well worth it.

Link to my build:
Old 07-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Master Builder

John its great to get cooking........ and very rewarding. I think friends really appreciate your skills.....building and cooking at this point.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:47 AM
Master Builder

Way to go John. The first performance for friends is special and an ordinary pizza out of your own oven is more than equal to the best from anywhere else. I think that dough wrangling is a skill that comes with experience. I am still some ways from a buckle but happy with the fruits of the oven anyway.

Good to see that you made your deadline.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Laborer

Thanks Damon and Steve.
I appreciate the comments. Everyone was anxious to plan the next pizza party and we are happy that they enjoyed it.

Link to my build:
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That entry way design is pretty impressive. I remember twisting my head around design and I couldn't come up with anything as clever as that. The whole build is nice, really.

Great work, and congrats!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Laborer

Thanks Dennis!
I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. I am really enjoying using the oven too, although I have a lot to do on the enclosure.

Link to my build: