Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

No pics today but I was able to finish the 8th course and got a few 'starter' bricks on course 9 done tonight. Gravity is creating more of a challenge now and will probably slow me down a little. One thing I am pretty certain of....I will never get a job where I am paid by the hour to lay bricks!

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 AM
Master Builder

Join the club! But we can do quality work if we are left alone to do our thing. I have great respect for people who build big straight walls.

The dome is a smaller controlled environment. I found it a satisfying piece of work doing the slow, careful work on the dome. There is nothing shabby about your work. Some are green (like me) others are green with envy.

Enjoy the journey. Watching with interest.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Master Builder

John,
apparently Winston Churchill laid bricks as a bit of a hobby.... he may not have been able to make a living out of it either but there are moments when you get "in the groove" when doing it and it's quite satisfying

Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Laborer

Thanks Steve and Damon. It really is great fun. I too, find it satisfying and somewhat relaxing. It is interesting how some bricks seem to plop right in but there have been a few that I had to remove, scrape the mortar and retry several times.

Link to my build:
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ive seen brickwork done on this forum by weekend warriors that would put some so called professionals to shame.
GarnerAC likes this.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Laborer

I've been able to get some work done in the evenings after work this week. Tonight I was able to get about 2/3 of the tenth course complete.
Attached Thumbnails
42 inch Michigan Oven-imag0275.jpg   42 inch Michigan Oven-imag0276.jpg   42 inch Michigan Oven-imag0277.jpg  

Link to my build:
Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Journeyman

looks great! nice job avoiding vertical seams!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:34 AM
Apprentice

John,
Looks great.
Nice progress.
It's pretty satisfying to get a complete chain above the inner arch, isn't it?

You'll be lighting curing fires before you know it!

Link to my build -
Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
looks great! nice job avoiding vertical seams!
Thanks Neil. I am finding, however, that it is getting more difficult to keep the vertical joints from aligning. The upper courses are requiring more frequent 'adjustment' bricks to keep on bond. Most of my oven was cut during the winter months and assembled dry inside so I could maximize my spring build time. But as I was doing so, I realized that some cuts would have to be made as I constructed. This became more evident in the higher courses so I made a few extra 'blanks' for each course to provide a starting point for my adjusting bricks. So far, the pre-build IMHO, has saved me a lot of time during assembly, AND it allowed me to think through some of the more complex geometry issues early on so as to not get bogged down too much now.

Link to my build:
Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylanta View Post
John,
Looks great.
Nice progress.
It's pretty satisfying to get a complete chain above the inner arch, isn't it?
Yes, if you notice in my earlier photos, I avoided tying in the arch for a while as I placed the first few courses. It is nice to not have to deal with the more difficult cuts now and I was surprised and pleased at how well the course that cleared the arch ended up.

Link to my build: