Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 42 inch Michigan Oven

This weekend I was able to complete a couple of courses and finish tying in the arch. It was a bit tricky cutting in over the arch, but not too bad. I was able to pretty much maintain a level course, and it is within a quarter inch of round. Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress so far.
The overhead shot isn't quite wide enough to get everything in but I was reaching up as high as I could under the canopy with my phone to take the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
42 inch Michigan Oven-imag0260.jpg   42 inch Michigan Oven-imag0262.jpg   42 inch Michigan Oven-imag0265.jpg  

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dome work looks very nice.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Laborer

Thanks Russell,
I followed your build closely and learned a lot from you. I'm using a jig remarkably similar to yours!

Link to my build:
Old 06-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Laborer

Nice work John.

When you back cut your arch bricks to accept the dome bricks were they the same or did you increase the angle toward the top?

thanks-
C-dad
Old 06-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Journeyman

Very nice work!! Excellent arch work, though I am partial to that since its what I did.
Eric
Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Journeyman

Great job, John! You are working fast!

Neil

My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html (32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California)
Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisdad View Post
Nice work John.

When you back cut your arch bricks to accept the dome bricks were they the same or did you increase the angle toward the top?

thanks-
C-dad
Hi C-dad,
Each brick was cut as I went up and the angle did increase somewhat.

Link to my build:
Old 06-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
Thanks Neil.

It is moving along well. However, after I started the stand last fall I sort of committed to an unrealistic completion date , so being unable to work on the oven outside, I basically built it dry in my workshop. I understood it was risky because every anomaly in construction could mess things up but I also knew that my spring/early summer schedule was so busy and that if I didn't get a lot of work done before hand there was no way to get it done in time. No doubt, the countless hours that I spent over the winter combined with actual construction time will far exceed the amount of time many builders put in when doing it once.

Link to my build:
Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Apprentice

That really is a nice build. I did snap headers and probably will do precision cuts on my next build, as they look really nice. It's a shame you have to cover that work up with insulation.

Have you started drooling for pizza yet? When I got that far, all I could think of was getting it finished and making some pies.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post
That really is a nice build. I did snap headers and probably will do precision cuts on my next build, as they look really nice. It's a shame you have to cover that work up with insulation.

Have you started drooling for pizza yet? When I got that far, all I could think of was getting it finished and making some pies.
Thanks Fabby!
Well at least I (and you guys on the forum) will know what it looks like under the insulation! And yes, I am getting very anxious for pizza

Link to my build:

Last edited by jbruning; 06-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.