Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 42" Build Underway in Central Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsiajb View Post
Thanks to all for your replies and encouraging words!

"technically perfect" probably won't be achieved in our build - but it's a great goal! I think our oven will be "family perfect"...and I am looking forward to the times we can use it. And, by the way, my wife and all three of our teenagers have been involved so far - they just haven't all made the photos. Yes, it has been hard but fun work so far...
G'day
I like that term " family perfect" I recon it should be used more often
Regards Dave
edsiajb likes this.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 42" Build Underway in Central Alabama

Another update with a few more photos of progress. Summer has become more busy and I've had less time to work on the project - but I have started making mortar (1:1:1:3 recipe) and laying a few brick.

I forgot to account for my cardboard spacer (covered with blue painter's tape) adding to my floor diameter:

Floor with first chain:

Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Laborer

I started off with an IT made from 1/4 all-thread and a small tripod ball head (later discovered that Hendo's original tool used a tripod head). I was very happy with it until I realized that it would work great on the first couple of chains, but then start adding unnecessary height as the chains got higher and higher - eventually adding about 2" to the upper chains.

So I redesigned the pivot end of my IT using a padlock hasp/hinge. I also used epoxy and a large fender washer to add strength to the Masonite:

My IT and folding Masonite template (shimmed in place due to cardboard spacer around floor brick):

Old 07-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Serf

Hey looks like things are going well so far with block. May I ask were you getting refractory goods? Do you have a place in your area? Down here in LA, lower Al tough time getting any light motar and other goods. Could you lead me in the right direction. I have slab down and waiting for end of summer to start block and brick. Good luck
Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoCM View Post
Hey looks like things are going well so far with block. May I ask were you getting refractory goods? Do you have a place in your area? Down here in LA, lower Al tough time getting any light motar and other goods. Could you lead me in the right direction. I have slab down and waiting for end of summer to start block and brick. Good luck
I live near Tuscaloosa and got my fire brick and fire clay at Wilcutt. I'm making my own 1:1:1:3 mortar, and so far I like it. The only high heat mortar I could find in the area was Firerock (it is actually called an adhesive - for modular fire places. It is polymer based, which made me nervous).

I am actually from LA (Jackson - Clarke County). Where are you?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Laborer

More photos:

Third chain completed

Completed template for inner arch - lots more figuring to go for the dome to arch transition...
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is a link of how a tapered arch is done that is similar to yours. It is from GF and Mr. C.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post119582 (OctoForno)
Old 07-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Here is a link of how a tapered arch is done that is similar to yours. It is from GF and Mr. C.

Thank you -- that is very helpful.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post

Wish I had tapered my arch bricks like that. Russell, I'm certain that would have made crossing the arch a hole lot easier.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris,

Your build turned out very nice anyway, especially liking the slate roof.