Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 42" Build Underway in Central Alabama

Daughter marking outline for insulating layer:

Formed up for 4" insulating layer (on top of 6 mil poly to enhance cure):

Vermicucrete poured and finished (somewhat):

Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Laborer

Tarps and form pulled after 7 days:

Moistened and covered back up for more cure time:

Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great! neighbor.
Keep the posts and the pics coming .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Looks great! neighbor.
Keep the posts and the pics coming .
Thanks Gulf - I am really inspired by your oven (the great craftsmanship...and the drawer...and the roof...it just goes on and on).

I just acquired some garage door track from a neighbor, and have some rollers on the way from a coworker. So it looks like I'll be building a drawer too.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:37 AM
Master Builder

Looks good! I did it the other way around and poured concrete around the outside and filled the 'keyhole' with vermicrete. I expect it is a matter of choice and how you intend to finish the oven. I did the igloo.

Look forward to watching your progress, you are off to a great start.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Laborer

As always, thanks for the comments and tips.

Now that we are back from a fantastic holiday trip to the Gulf Coast, I was able to get back on track today with the oven construction!

Laid out the brick floor and applied my template:

I have no experience cutting brick - learning as I go...

Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Apprentice

Wow you are on your way to a very strong, technically perfect build. Keep it going. I too had never cut a brick before....bordering on Expert now haha.

This is a fun journey you are embarking on. Nice to have your daughter interested as well. Not something she will likely forget.

Keep the pics coming..

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great start with the floor and base. Gonna be following your build closely. Yes, Gulf's build is a good baseline to follow.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Laborer

Thanks to all for your replies and encouraging words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaslo View Post
Wow you are on your way to a very strong, technically perfect build. Keep it going. I too had never cut a brick before....bordering on Expert now haha.

This is a fun journey you are embarking on. Nice to have your daughter interested as well. Not something she will likely forget.

Keep the pics coming..
"technically perfect" probably won't be achieved in our build - but it's a great goal! I think our oven will be "family perfect"...and I am looking forward to the times we can use it. And, by the way, my wife and all three of our teenagers have been involved so far - they just haven't all made the photos. Yes, it has been hard but fun work so far...
Old 07-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Great start with the floor and base. Gonna be following your build closely. Yes, Gulf's build is a good baseline to follow.
Thanks! Regarding Gulf's build and my comments, I'm sure there are other builds out there that deserve similar accolades. But I've studied Gulf's photos and build in depth. I just haven't had time to study the others (yet).