Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: 42" build in Central Texas

All the best with the knee issues. Anything that restricts mobility is an issue but only when those chickens come home to roost.

People are starting to take notice of WFO's in the real estate sense.

Multi benefits to building one of these versatile ovens.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Apprentice

Limped around a little out there last night and got the outer arch supports up.
Im struggling a tad with this flared arch but think I have it mostly figured out.
Of all things the Voussiors arent clicking with me. I could go try to guess but Id like to know what is the right way to figure the angles? Do they point to the striking point? This arch will be visible and I want small mortar joints and better looking angles than my inner arch.

42" build in Central Texas-20130919_171244-1-.jpg

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 09-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Apprentice

Yep, its all about setting out a rdius arc from a centrepoint that strikes the sides where you want it. The bricks then need tapers that follow back to the centre.
I find it easier to get a piece of board and mark it all out, and set the bricks onto it as a mock up.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 AM
Apprentice

I think thats what I'll have to do. Get a large piece of cardboard and lay it all out and make a brick template. Looks like the striking point for the Voussoirs is lower than the point for center brick.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lay it out physically, it is the only practical way. As always leave the keystone to be cut to fit the as built, not the as designed.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

If I had 2 more bricks I would have finished the outer arch today! My son helped me figure the Voussoirs angles this morning. Going smooth, hoping for good clean consistent mortar joints. Oh and we killed a Coral snake too. Reagan was cutting a couple bricks and looked down to see the familiar Red-Yellow-Black coloring of a Coral Snake slither between his feet. This one was 25" long. We have found 36" ones here before. Reagan was actually bitten by a Rattlesnake when he was 4 years old about 20 feet from where the WFO is. 4 days in ICU but not long term problems.

Starting to think about FIRE........

42" build in Central Texas-20130921_114229.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-20130921_161911.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-20130921_123638.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-20130921_182616.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-20130921_182534.jpg

Old 09-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your best bet is to lay from both sides and don't cut the last one until the rest are in.

Looks great though, other than the venomous aspect.
GarnerAC likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for that you have provided the answer I needed to my front arch challenge.

Much Appreciated

Old 09-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post
Limped around a little out there last night and got the outer arch supports up.
Im struggling a tad with this flared arch but think I have it mostly figured out.
Of all things the Voussiors arent clicking with me. I could go try to guess but Id like to know what is the right way to figure the angles? Do they point to the striking point? This arch will be visible and I want small mortar joints and better looking angles than my inner arch.

Attachment 39037
This was my challenge

Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post
Anyone ever have experience selling a home with a WFO? wonder what real estate agents say or think about these as a selling point???
I do. The people that were gaga over the oven didn't have the winning bid...and the person that bought the home didn't really care much about it. My wife and I didn't have an agent, but to be honest, our home kind of sold itself. The WFO and patio area were just an extra that didn't matter to a lot of the lookie loos.

42" build in Central Texas-141-pizza-oven-15-.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-finished2.jpg

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin