Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" build in Central Texas

I have been mentally toying around with the idea of an inner door with a PID-controlled regulator/fan and two openings in order to use the oven as a smoker/slow cook BBQ. I am not sure it would work, but it would be cool to be able to maintain temps of 200 or so for long periods. Adding an outer door and a damper to that equation seems like it would make it a more complicated task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Journeyman

If your oven is well insulated you can maintain even temperatures for very long periods of time without any regulation. Last week on Day 3 after firing the temperature in my oven was about 320 degrees. I wanted to cook at 250 - so I left the door off for about 3 hours and got the temp to around 260. I then placed my dutch oven with lamb stew in it, closed the door, and left it the whole day. At the end of the day the temp had only dropped to around 245.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

yeah, that is true. I was thinking about being able to maintain a flame for smoking - but I don't want to take the thread sideways

Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Journeyman

I agree - that would be more challenging!!

Smokers are not that expensive!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post
Yeah that was tempting because I have all the meters and temp measuring devices too, but I had to force myself to stick to simplicity!
"Not that theres anything wrong with it"

It will be interesting to see what temps you see at those 3 locations.
Gac,

Sounds like your sticking to simplicity. I understand, my thinking keeps me going over budget, I keep trying to simplify my life but there is away a new project around the corner.

I'm on my third day of fire curing. Keeping temperatures low is a task especially after the addition of insulation. I will try to post some data on the temperatures of thermocouples later on my thread.

Since it sound like simplicity is in your future and we don't want to high jack your thread. I will post more comments about dampers and gadgets on my thread.

Hope your surgery goes well.

KB

Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Apprentice

believe me, Im a gadget guy and have way too many of them. Your stuff looks great and will be around for many years. Should add good value to the property if you ever sell. Anyone ever have experience selling a home with a WFO? wonder what real estate agents say or think about these as a selling point???

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think it depends upon the patio area surrounding it. Alone, not so much.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Apprentice

Because I cant get up easily and im stuck at the TV/Puter, thought I'd share my day with you. (Maybe it's the Vicodin talking). I had Arthroscopic knee surgery at 2:00 today. Asked the Nurse to take some pics during the procedure. Doc cleaned up my left knee and found out I have no ACL. Should be good to go but may have to address the ACL at some point.

42" build in Central Texas-20130918_125235.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-20130918_135559.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-img_20130918_141709.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-20130918_143424.jpg

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 AM
Master Builder

Glad to see the surgery went well. Looks like your knee is going to hurt today by the looks of the picture

Quote:
Yeah that was tempting because I have all the meters and temp measuring devices too, but I had to force myself to stick to simplicity!
"Not that theres anything wrong with it"

It will be interesting to see what temps you see at those 3 locations.
Ps.
I added the thermocouple info to my thread.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 09-19-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
believe me, Im a gadget guy and have way too many of them. Your stuff looks great and will be around for many years. Should add good value to the property if you ever sell. Anyone ever have experience selling a home with a WFO? wonder what real estate agents say or think about these as a selling point???
Gudday
Showed a real estate friend my oven not quite complete and asked is a an asset for the sale of a property? The answer was at that time ... Perhaps but its home made ... So it might ... Or might not.
Stuck in my mind so I've been mindfull that I did build a working oven ... But an ugly one .
With one thing and another I've taken my time till now till the finish that I'm happy with,showed a photo .... And the answer!
Great! Ovens are real popular now and are a great selling point especially ones like yours that are not " package" ovens added to sell a property.
Figure?
Recon Tscar's right its all about the presentation.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door