Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 42" build in Central Texas

truly a great idea for us wanna be masons. necessity is the mother of invention!
GarnerAC likes this.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Excellent!,
Glad to see that you are "pointing", and not just "packing" it in .
What exactly does "Pointing" mean? Why THAT word?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 12-15-2013, 06:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post
What exactly does "Pointing" mean? Why THAT word?
Garner,
That term predates even me . It is a term that I have always heard and used. To me, it means filling the joint "completely" from the "back to the front" by what ever technique that works".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Technically, "pointing" or "tuckpointing" is done to re-fill an existing joint that has either eroded or been cut out. For new work the correct technical word would be "grouting".

Either way, it looks good and I like your tool, although it is just a matter of getting the grout consistency right to use the bag.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Tszar what do you use as a "bag" for mortar
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Old 12-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Apprentice

I couldnt make the grout bag work. I tried it dry like you said. I cant imagine going any drier than what I did. My theory is that the sand grains were too coarse.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 12-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Laborer

I scoured our premises for an appropriate piece of make shift equipment for pointing the dome of the WFO where i messed up laying the top couple of dome courses. Came upon my wife's cake decorating set in the kitchen. Hey, that would work great I thought to myself. What a look i got when i told her what i needed it for..if looks could kill. I ended up curling up a heavy duty zip lock type baggy with the corner cut off. It worked fine and i didn't need to buy her a new cake and cookie decorating set!!

Hindsight i like Garners split wedge idea. I will remember that next time I need to point the head joints on my old (1836) farm house.

thanks Garner...great idea!
GarnerAC likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoer54 View Post
I scoured our premises for an appropriate piece of make shift equipment for pointing the dome of the WFO where i messed up laying the top couple of dome courses. Came upon my wife's cake decorating set in the kitchen. Hey, that would work great I thought to myself. What a look i got when i told her what i needed it for..if looks could kill. I ended up curling up a heavy duty zip lock type baggy with the corner cut off. It worked fine and i didn't need to buy her a new cake and cookie decorating set!!

Hindsight i like Garners split wedge idea. I will remember that next time I need to point the head joints on my old (1836) farm house.

thanks Garner...great idea!
I went that route too. She said "absolutely not" to her Pampered Chef (?) tool but had a cheap version that looked like it would be "the ticket". I loaded it up with mortar and upon the first compression, the cheezy screw-in attachments blew out. Id be very impressed to see someone make that bag work with this very course mortar. Got a photo of that 1836 Farmhouse?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Laborer

The heavy duty zip lock baggie worked fine for what i needed to point the few bricks on the inside of the dome. Everything is working fine so far and am looking forward to another build soon!!! The second oven will be a challenge as it is deep in the woods and has some steep slopes to deal with. it will probably be next summer or fall.

Here are a couple pics of the ol farm house. These pics are a couple years old. (long story). My wife has planted a lot of flowers and other plants on the front now. The new wfo is near the back of the house. Guess I need to get some new pics on my thread.

Keep sending us pics of what your cooking in your oven. (I'm really bad on the pic end of what we've been cooking).
jon
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Central Texas-dscn0595.jpg   42" build in Central Texas-img_0016.jpg  
GarnerAC likes this.