Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" build in Central Texas

I like the Ivory Cream too. Part of me likes the Mexican Mud but i like the look of these bricks and it hides too much of them. Something close to that will be fine.

Can you bring the mortar this afternoon?? I was just across from the south store this morning, at one of my supply houses,, they had about 4 trucks getting loaded

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 11-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Apprentice

Progress update: Very little progress. It's cold, it's raining and its just gonna have to wait. So, while I have some downtime, I'll plan my decorative arch and ponder a few other details. Tom delivered Sand and Ivory cream type S,,, and let me borrow a couple pointers, a joint tool and a Hawk. He explained the technique and Im stoked to do it.... Just not stoked enough to do it it the nasty weather. I think I know what Im going to do on the deco-arch and it involves flagstones.

42" build in Central Texas-2012f350-1.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

As long as the rain or drizzle is not soaking the brick, cool, grey and misty days are the best for tuck pointing...if you are so inclined.

Are you building your outer arch with a type sandstone ( or limestone)? I see what appears to be a couple pieces of it your table.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
As long as the rain or drizzle is not soaking the brick, cool, grey and misty days are the best for tuck pointing...if you are so inclined.

Are you building your outer arch with a type sandstone ( or limestone)? I see what appears to be a couple pieces of it your table.
Once it is dry and theres no north wind I'll resume. Im only at about 50% with the brick and I may end up removing a few pieces and improving a section Im not happy with. I have some 1/4 and 1/8 bricks in a section that I want to get rid of by trimming a few full length pieces back. I may leave a couple but there is one section that has about 6, its near the back but.... I'll see them.

On the arch I think Im going to use some longer randomly shaped 10-12" limestone cream/lite-reddish/brown colored flags that should tie in with my home stone. My current plan is to cut them close enough together so that I wont have to tuck them. And,,, I want them to go down and hide my Fire Brick outer arch.
As for now, I just fired up the Pellet Stove and am about to cook breakfast for the Fab Fam!

Remember: Any creative suggestions and critiques are welcome.
#masonhack

42" build in Central Texas-20131123_071215.jpg

Old 11-23-2013, 06:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That sounds nice. Looking forward to seeing that.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Apprentice

Check out this Buck that followed up a Doe through my Backyard this morning

42" build in Central Texas-img_3677.jpg

Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Beautiful photo!

Great depth of field, foreground fraiming.............You must be a photographer .

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 11-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Beautiful photo!

Great depth of field, foreground fraiming.............You must be a photographer .
People always tell me "you must have a really good camera!"

42" build in Central Texas-img_3709.jpg

Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post
People always tell me "you must have a really good camera!"

Attachment 40346
Where's the crosshairs.........................He would go well on Turkey day, cooked in your new WFO.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 11-25-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Where's the crosshairs.........................He would go have well on Turkey day, cooked in your new WFO.
Never took a liking to Venison, or Deer hunting for that matter. If Venison were so great, why is everyone trying to give it away this time of year??

I do like Deer Jerky though!