Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" build in Central Texas

I wouldn't use a bag at all. 95% of it is horizontal and it is faster and neater to tuck it off a hawk. If you need to borrow a hawk and some tuckpointers, let me know. If it isn't raining tomorrow, I will stop by and show you the technique.

It looks real nice, but I disagree with raking the joints, those old raggedy brick want filled and smeared joints. Are you going with white, grey or colored? I have an ivory colored masonry cement that looks like the old Alamo cement, if you know what that looks like.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I put the hawk, some tuckpointers and a bag in the truck.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It looks real nice, but I disagree with raking the joints, those old raggedy brick want filled and smeared joints.
When I suggested raked back, it doesn't mean in the true sense of the word... just enough to show the edge ( not literally 3/16") like what time does to antique mortar.

But smeared joints? Urg....why make it look like an amateur pointed the wall with a dead cat or a hack repair job? I will never personally buy into the idea that sloppy joint work = old looking......big disagree there.

That's not the point though, it doesn't really matter worth a darn what I or anyone else thinks, except Garner...it's his oven after all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 11-20-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oooh. Masonry argument.

Gets popcorn

GarnerAC likes this.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hahaha...I have strong opinions for sure, especially when it comes to anything masonry related. I am not trying to be argumentative at all. Opinionated...guilty as charged.
GarnerAC likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Apprentice

Doh! and I had me a real nice MPI masonry bag too Stoner!
As far as color, I hadnt really given it ALOT of thought. Just was going to use the standard Grey,, maybe a lighter grey. White seems to be a bit dramatic and from yesterday's start-up with White thinset, it sure seems tough to keep off the face and once it was on there it wasn't coming off!
Please come by if you have time,,, I'll try to get some done on the back-side so we can experiment. My joints are varying from 1/4" to 1/2" as this brick is purposefully inconsistent.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Apprentice

I just picked up all tools and threw up a couple tarps as it is misting. I think the rain wasnt supposed to be here til Friday afternoon. Be glad when it's dried in.

edit:
This is what Eldorado shows as a sample. I think my brick is considerably darker brown than shown here and with more black.

42" build in Central Texas-capture.jpg

Here are a couple that I like, Are these considered White? Ivory? Grey?

42" build in Central Texas-4.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-depositphotos_5612134-pizza-margherita.jpg

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Last edited by GarnerAC; 11-21-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The first is full joints with white mud, the second is smeared with Mexican mud of unknown type, the third is the raked joints I think Stone cutter was talking about and the forth is ivory cream cement.
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Central Texas-overgrout.jpg   42" build in Central Texas-smear.jpg   42" build in Central Texas-rake.jpg   42" build in Central Texas-ivorycream.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Pretty close T, though IMO, a tooled look is too formal for his brick. It's hard to tell, but the joints in the second pic look they were finished with a slicker, rather than raked back. I see a small thin ridge of mortar along the edge of some of the brick and what looks like an indented center.

What I was visualizing was more like a cross between that and the last pic, except the joint isn't flushed out to the edge. It produces a weathered look when brushed...I did it with my antique brick corners. It replicates old weathered joints you see on historic buildings, which used those type of brick. The finish in the last pic would look great as well ( flushed ) with irregular joint spaces. It looks like a brush finish to me.

The color of the mortar in the last pic would look dynamite with the brick too. One vote ( from the peanut gallery) for ivory cream

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 11-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ivory cream matches the old Alamo (before they built a new plant and quarries) pretty well. It was the most common cement in Central Texas for 100 years, so I have to match it a lot.