Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" build in Central Texas

It is used to cure, but does not provide enough heat to saturate the oven for cooking. Keep in mind that that dollar value is for the dome only, nothing else around it.
GarnerAC likes this.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Journeyman

Hi Garner,

lots of debate on this forum (and others!) on the charcoal versus wood discussion. If I can try and summarize it for you: the case against charcoal is that the localized temperatures are far higher than they are for wood, and that eventually these very high temperatures will start to deteriorate even high quality firebrick.

But, as is always the case, there are arguments on both sides!

I have only ever used wood in my oven so I do not have any first hand experience.
GarnerAC likes this.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It is used to cure, but does not provide enough heat to saturate the oven for cooking. Keep in mind that that dollar value is for the dome only, nothing else around it.
OK, so no top insulation only under floor insulation if no Perlcrete. Maybe 500-600 in materials.
So is it too hot or not hot enough? This stuff burns pretty hot in my BGE, I can cook fast Pizzas at 800.
Wood eventually turns to coal so how could it damage it any more that your firewood eventually transformed into lump charcoal?

BTW, LUMP Charcoal, not Briquettes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You need flame licking the dome, it is the hottest part of the fire, and charcoal is self-insulating to a certain extent (ash). To recharge the floor under heavy use, you rake coals over the floor for a few minutes only, to prevent the ash insulation effect. If you could literally fill the dome with charcoal it would probably work fine to charge the oven, but lacking that, plan on 10 or 12 hours to do what chopped wood does in an hour or 2.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
You need flame licking the dome, it is the hottest part of the fire, and charcoal is self-insulating to a certain extent (ash). To recharge the floor under heavy use, you rake coals over the floor for a few minutes only, to prevent the ash insulation effect. If you could literally fill the dome with charcoal it would probably work fine to charge the oven, but lacking that, plan on 10 or 12 hours to do what chopped wood does in an hour or 2.
yeah I guess i see what you are saying, i just need to get this thing fired up and Im sure it will all make sense. Tom, I hope you can come by the house at some point and give it the stamp of approval!
Im cooking for the guys friday afternoon and unfortunately gone all day Saturday (race day!) so all that heat energy will get wasted. I was really hoping to cook something else. Maybe there will be enough heat left on Sunday for a Yardbird

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wont be wasted if you have an insulated door. Or block it up with left over insulation and brick....

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Wont be wasted if you have an insulated door. Or block it up with left over insulation and brick....
Good idea. I havent built a door yet but thinking about it. Maybe ill cut apiece of Ceramic board that i will eventually use in my door as a temporary door. Was thinking about a water soaked piece of plywood but no. Thanks Stoner

Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wink Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post
.... Thanks Stoner
I wish I had a dollar every time I've heard that. You're welcome, tin-knocker.
GarnerAC likes this.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post
Good idea. I havent built a door yet but thinking about it. Maybe ill cut apiece of Ceramic board that i will eventually use in my door as a temporary door. Was thinking about a water soaked piece of plywood but no. Thanks Stoner
GC,
I'm using a scrap piece of Hardie board screwed a piece of plywood, does great. Oven temp 325F after Cooking the yard bird on Sunday. I was only using the cement board at first but broke a couple. They become very brittle with the heat. The plywood gives some support. The plywood shows no signs of getting to hot.
Plan on throwing some bacon in this morning. Been cooking all week on Sunday's fire. Eventually I get around to a nice insulated door.
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Central Texas-dscn2681.jpg   42" build in Central Texas-dscn2682.jpg  
GarnerAC likes this.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 11-13-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:49 AM
Apprentice

Nice arch kbart! As much insulation as I put on this thing it oughta hold heat til Spring! So, maybe I'll build me a temporary insulated door today similar to that and have a bird ready to put in on Sunday AM. It got really cold (33) last night and we'll be swamped today but I'll make time before friday.