Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Poured the top yesterday. 13 bags of Maximizer, 65"x81"x3.5". I thought I had a helper but forgot he was off yesterday! It was a struggle by myself but "got er done"!
The Maximizer didnt finish out very pretty but I think it will hold up just fine. I have plenty of support underneath. Now comes the Dome. Not going to happen fast....

42" build in Central Texas-pouring-top-1.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-top-poured.jpg
Old 08-16-2013, 05:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

A lot of mud for one person to pour and finish. Now the real fun start. Good luck.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: 42" build in Central Texas

That finish looks good-no worries. I bet you shed a couple pounds in the heat doing that. That will come in handy later when the cooking starts. That is deserving of some cold adult beverages.

texman

Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post
Welcome and thanks for sharing your build. Post lots of pics and tell your son thanks for his service from me.

I had the same apprehension about the FB board, but rest assured it is good to go. See Les's thread where he drove his truck over it. Great looking sight for your build and plenty of heat for you in Kyle-probably good for a hvac business!

Texman
I have a box of Insul 19 Fiber Board in 1". Any thoughts about sandwiching a slab of 3/8 Hardi-Backer board between 2 pieces of FB? Might spread the load around?
Thinking out loud.......

Last edited by GarnerAC; 08-16-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Master Builder

the hardibacker might be ok sandwiched since it wont get the full heat of the floor. But i really dont think you need it. It isn't made to stand the heat and that FB board will work. I worried about it too and many builders assured me and they were right. I remember one guy stacked about 20 bricks straight up to see if compressed and it held.

How much floor insulation are you planning?

Have you given any thought to the finished height of your cooking floor ?
One of the things in the thread "what would you do different if you did it again?" was more floor insulation and higher cooking floor height. I am 5'11" and added vermicrete base on top of the slab and FB board over that to get a cooking floor height of about 47" (i think) Makes the oven really stand out and easier to work and more fun to watch since you can see easier plus the added benefit of more insulation.

Texman

Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Apprentice

Im currently at 37" to the top of my pedestal and was thinking a 43" oven floor. 3" of insulation plus a sandwiched Hardiboard 1" up from concrete is my current plan. Subject to change at any moment. I'll have to read that thread. 47" seems really high, especially while building it.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Master Builder

GAC
It did add some challenge while building. I spent most of my build standing on the concrete base bent over to lay brick and climbing up and down up and down, up and down (you get the point). Actually, the higher base was better in the build because I did not need to bend as far to reach the floor since my feet were below the floor level.

I would measure the height of your elbows to feet in a comfortable stance and see what that is. Should be close to comfortable. Many folks do the phantom pizza peel and decide what is comfortable by feel and use that as their height. I am not trying to make a BIG deal about this, but once you start setting dome, you are committed.

Also, get that saw and brick as close as you can to you base-less steps.

Texman
GarnerAC likes this.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:01 AM
Apprentice

Decided a few things over Saturday. I mortared down 1/2 Hardi-Backer to give me perfectly level real estate. The concrete top had some 1/4" low spots due to the concrete slowly settling into the block voids. I would have done a better job with this had I had a helper that day. I think this will be good and give me another 3/4" height on my floor which will be 43" after going with 3" of FB insulation. I also laid out the Oven just for my own envisioning.

42" build in Central Texas-hardi.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-layout-hardi.jpg
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 AM
Laborer

Looking good! Although it is usually possible to correct issues as you go, starting out level (or plumb) is a much better approach. This should be beneficial. How consistent is your FB? I used 2 inch material and found some variations which needed to be dealt with.

Link to my build:
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Apprentice

thanks for posting! I really like the hardi-backer idea. I will find this usefull on my next build which I hope to do sometime next year in Wimberley.
GarnerAC likes this.