Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" build in Central Texas

It faces due west but it really is in a wind-neutral zone. My 2 story house is NW of it and trees all over the place. The last few days were windy due to a bit of unstable weather. Our Prevailing Wind is from the SW which would strike it on the back right if it werent for all the trees.

In my feeble mind I was thinking the SS channel would ride the other way, all the way between the Granite and Oven channeling the water left or right, a gutter if u will. Probably overthinking it.....
I have to be gone all next week so I have 2 10 hr flights to overthink stuff even more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 10-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post

....... I was thinking the SS channel would ride the other way, all the way between the Granite and Oven channeling the water left or right, a gutter if u will.
That works too, but it would probably continually build up crud, unless you want to clean it constantly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Oh, and for pre-heating the flue, you can also twist up a roll of burning newspaper and hold it to the flue as you start a small oven fire.....metal flue heats up fast.
That is pretty much what I do. I would have replied earlier but, TDS.Net went down right after I made the reply . It was still down when I was drinking my coffee before leaving for work at 4:00 am this morning . I saw one of their trucks on the highway at the end of my drive when I was leaving .

I start my fire in the oven. By the time that first little drift of smoke/heat falls low enough to exit the inner arch, it is following an already trained column of rising air upward and not into my face .
GarnerAC likes this.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had to do that in my oven in CT but not my current one. A couple things I did different are that I made the throat bigger, and I made my outer arch about 1/4" smaller than the vent arch ( which is 1" wider than the oven opening). My oven had no choice but to face the prevailing wind, which is constant here on the lake. This oven has an awesome draw...it has all to do with that flue opening. I never have to preheat this flue like I did in CT. I'll post a video on my thread someday. But I think this is an area that gets undersized a lot. It doesn't matter if the opening is large, because once heat travels past the oven opening, it is lost to the oven whether the flue opening is small or large.
cobblerdave likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 10-01-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Apprentice

Yesterday it ran for 12 hrs at 300 and the inner arch and inside of the chimney base was almost black, the dome is a deep dark brown but the outer arch has no color or staining. I will have a decorative arch that will add another 3/4" or so of depth

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Last edited by GarnerAC; 10-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Apprentice

I really think that the seam between the granite and floor will be OK. Between my overhang, a small slope on the granite and a good heat resistant silicone/caulk in the 1" seam, i'll be fine. Just fired it up for another day of 300-400

Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wait a minute...when you say seam, are you referring to the bed joint?

I thought you were talking about the surface seam between the granite and the floor brick of the vent area. Yep, caulk only for a bed joint is fine.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Apprentice

No Comprende "bed joint"
Im talking about the visible seam between the firebrick and the granite, on the surface.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post
No Comprende "bed joint"
Its what you smoke if you are having trouble sleeping.

"A horizontal layer of mortar on which masonry units are laid"

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Apprentice

LoL, My brain didnt even go there. Good one!
"Masonry units"